New Promotions Means New Products

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
Apples New iMac promotion "Snap it up" offers a HP 318xi digital camera or $150 cash back with the purchase of any iMac through the end of the year.

-- Smells like a new batch of iMac's to me.. hmm.. right in time for MWSF, January 7? Put me down for a new flat-panel iMac Steve! I need a new iMac to match my new iPod!

totoro

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2001
not only iMac promotion!!!!

Just got the Apple eNews: there is a promotion on Quicksilver PowerMac with a 15' or 17' Apple Studio Display for 500$ less. Is that the end of the G4???

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Probably not, if the G4 was about to go then something would have to replace it. Too soon for a G5.

Im with you scab, im not sure if apple is ready for a flat panel imac. But if there isnt one then i dont think people will be as dissapointed.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
maybe you are right scab

i still hope for the flat panel iMac

ps - scab, great website, read my guitar reviews on http://www.epinions.com ...my first guitar was an ibanez blazer 550 and my friend just bought an ibanez vai after his satriani js-100 got ripped off from a gig

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
g5

Reading about the slow yields from moto, it does seem unlikely that there will be any appearance of a G5 at SF, but if the rebate is not for the G5, then perhaps it is for new displays all around? Perhaps IBM has come through with the low-profile CRT and we'll see iMac's with an IBM theme of 1 Gig G3's and new slim CRT's, as well as 'external' slim CRT monitors for half the price of the current LCD's???

I realize this is a HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEE stretch, but isn't that what this site is all about? --no i don't have any "source" this is all out of my arse... but I do think it would be SWEEET!

and how about a new 'digital device' to companion with the new iPod?

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I had the same thought when I read about the deals. Same thing happened with the new powerbooks. I'm still skeptical about the LCD iMac any time soon, but I wouldn't doubt we'll see something new in January. When the price comes down and the economy stabilizes, then we'll see them. People just aren't buying computers right now.

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
I think that true, the market isn't great and people are not buying cars, and computers and all that, but. technology has to still go on.. and Apple knows this.. they cannot "wait around" until the market gets better in order to bring out [smaller], faster, better products. Any company that does this will be far behind when the economy picks up again... at that point.. i'm hoping IBM will have gotten Apple up to 2ghz and a G5, with an enhanced G3.. (G3e) kind of like the 603e.. or something.. what did that e stand for anyway? I was too young when those were around to have known about them.. I think my Performa 467 has one of those... I don't know..

Anyway, Apple and technology must go on, despite the economy, or we are all doomed to intel... NOOOOOOOOOoo!!!!!!!!!...

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: technology moving forward

i hope apple keeps pace also

the economy can't be bad forever

sign me up for an lcd iMac in 2002, or 2003

A

ALPHAMATIX

FLAT PANEL??? all in one, the imacs were limited enough before this.....

Yes the New Flat Panel Imac will be released this week, maybe even the day of MWSF. I dont know for sure, but i would be suprised if the processor of this imac exceeds 1Gig, Mac does need to step it up, if they are going to make that quote, then its time to perform, and shortly after this release it would be nice to release a Powermac G5 for us Designers, who have brought macintosh this far. They are not catering to their main consumer which is more or less the Design Industry, it seems lately they are jumping on another band wagon and catering to the normal consumer which slick looks rather than actual performance. IBM has taken over, and i would be regretably forced to buy a PC in the near future, if they dont get in gear, and step up to the plate. Does anyone agree?

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Re: FLAT PANEL??? all in one, the imacs were limited enough before this.....

Originally posted by ALPHAMATIX
Yes the New Flat Panel Imac will be released this week, maybe even the day of MWSF. I dont know for sure, but i would be suprised if the processor of this imac exceeds 1Gig, Mac does need to step it up, if they are going to make that quote, then its time to perform, and shortly after this release it would be nice to release a Powermac G5 for us Designers, who have brought macintosh this far. They are not catering to their main consumer which is more or less the Design Industry, it seems lately they are jumping on another band wagon and catering to the normal consumer which slick looks rather than actual performance. IBM has taken over, and i would be regretably forced to buy a PC in the near future, if they dont get in gear, and step up to the plate. Does anyone agree?
I totaly agree. WHo cares about those consumer crap. I want some real power to run my Illu and Photoshop!
gimme gimme gimme a Mac after midnight . . . :)

A

ALPHAMATIX

Like i Said, they released the new imac today, and the fastest processor available is 800mhz, for the price its a great deal, but they are still behind, this release is ridiculous, besides the DVD-R drive that is available, which is a nice feature i might say, and the slick look(again going for looks and not performance) Why doesnt the top end macs come with DVD-R drives. I just spent 3000.00 on my powerbook, and not even a combo drive, just a DVD drive. Now i gotta pay 300.00 just for a CD-RW drive upgrade. Wheres the DVd-Rom or even the DVD-R drive huh? Absolutely ridiculous. I mean PC's were at 800mhz like 3 years ago. Besides everyones praise at Mac World, how about asking MAc for a breakthrough product. Its time for the consumer to step in and make they change, but how can we??? I am very upset....