New prospective iPhone customer here...questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tsantsa, Sep 5, 2011.

1. tsantsa macrumors newbie

Ok, I am going to make the dive with ATT and get an iPhone but I am in something of a predicament (as are many people I bet!)

The wife is pushing to just go ahead and get a refurb 4 for $100 each (we both want one). But if the next iteration is coming in about a month then prices are sure to drop right? The 4 SHOULD be about $99 to $150 for the 16gb if I remember the previous pricing structures.

What if I just get a 3gs and upgrade to a 5 in due time? I have heard that support for the 3gs is nonexistent, but if I jailbreak it, I could make it more usable correct?

Another question is how long until I can upgrade with ATT? I don't currently use them as I am out of contract at the moment and have been for quite some time.

Can anyone help me with my decision making here? The wife is seriously getting impatient and I suppose that's making ME impatient as well!

2. 184550 Guest

Personally, I'd wait for an announcement based on the rumors at this point.

However, if the iPhone 4 suits your needs and you want an iPhone now, by all means get one. It's a great phone. FWIW, the 3GS will be able to run iOS 5 if you are interested in its low cost aspect.

Typically, iPhone users on ATT have been able to upgrade to the latest iPhone at a reduced, but not subsidized, price. However I think this assumes that they have had the phone for a ~year. If you bought in now, you'd be unable to get the reduced price on the iPhone 4S/ 5/ whatever.

One option would be to get an iPhone 4/ 3GS off CL and simply buy just an ATT sim and wait for the announcement and then sign a contract with ATT and get the iPhone 4S/ 5 at the subsidized price point.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm waiting out this last bit before I decide whether to go with the iPhone 4 or iPhone 5. But if you really need a phone right now, then by all means go for the iPhone 4. It's not like it's a bad phone and even when the iPhone 5 is released it'll still be a great phone. Don't think just because the 5 is coming out that the 4 i a bad choice. If it fits your needs, then go for it. But if you can, I'd suggest waiting another month, seeing what the iPhone 5 brings, and then comparing that to the iPhone 4 and seeing which suits your needs better.