New PSU fan installation question.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Hi Folks. i am looking for changing the PSU fan in my QS powermac. And i wonder if there is any difference between plug it on the 3 pin PSU bracket or to any standard 4 PIN, like the hard-disks. seems to be easier to just use the 4 PIN connector, cause the 3 seems not to mach properly with the fan.

cheers.

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
Hi Folks. i am looking for changing the PSU fan in my QS powermac. And i wonder if there is any difference between plug it on the 3 pin PSU bracket or to any standard 4 PIN, like the hard-disks. seems to be easier to just use the 4 PIN connector, cause the 3 seems not to mach properly with the fan.

cheers.
I suggest you use a fan which already has the 3-pin connector.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN

cheers.
It is really your choice. Question is do you want it controlled or uncontrolled? If you use a 3 pin connector (any PC Case fan should work) you might have to chop the connector and rearange the wires to make it work. If you do 4 pin the fan will be running at 12V at ALL times so make sure you dont get a loud one. a fan between 30 and 80CFM will not be that loud. I have had to replace PC fans by powering it via Molex because the power supply's internal plug died. I even had one PSU Die because the fan seized up.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
thanks, so as i see.. 3 pin is going to be controlled. So it would be more quiet then to plug in to the PSU board.