New Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lucky20lw, Nov 14, 2010.

1. lucky20lw macrumors newbie

I'm about to purchase a new MacBook Pro. Probably leaning towards the 13" for price and portability.
    I currently have a 15" PowerbookG4 that has survived 8 years of varying strains in use (general web browsing to web and graphic design in the Adobe suite). It is unfortunately color-wheeling me more often than not. I'm looking for something to hold up as well.
    Right now the system will just be for simple browsing, the Microsoft Suite and handling of my iTunes. I'd like to have a system with potential to handle CS5 suite and probably Dreamweaver.
    Right now I'm weighing two options:
    The base 2.4
    Replacing the 250GB drive with either a 120 GB SSD drive or the 240 SSD (not sure because of cost) looking at the Mercury Extreme's and using the packaged 250 as extra external storage for back-ups and storage of my music. I can do that, right?. I've seen some of the benchmarking for the Mercury vs. Apple's SSD...what has been your real world experience?
    I think for now I'll hold off on the memory upgrade until I see a need.

The other option is to go with the base 2.66GHz and keeping it at that level.
    Is it worth going for the SSD in lieu of upping the processor to 2.66GHz, or should I do both...the 2.66GHz and solid state. Would it be good enough to stick with the 2.4 GHz and grab
    I hope I'm making sense after days of building and deleting systems online for purchase. Thank you in advance for any feedback and advice.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The CPU bump (2.4 -> 2.66) is negligible unless you run CPU intensive apps day after day. An SSD will improve the performance more than any CPU in the world. Personally, I would go with aftermarket SSD

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Go with the 2.4Ghz, buy the 240GB SSD and you may use the 250GB as an external once you buy an external housing for it. Good idea.