New Purchase, Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by o.neill.kid, Aug 19, 2011.

1. o.neill.kid, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

o.neill.kid macrumors member

So I have always had an iPod, iPhone, iPad at the start of every product launch. Now that I actually have some money I am finally able to purchase a Mac. My price range is Under $2000 (give or take taxes I suppose, also I am eligible for education discount.)

I am having a killer time deciding what I want. I currently have a Dell laptop that is almost 4 years old, so any upgrade is an amazing upgrade to me. I use it for heavy downloading of files, movies, games etc. I do a lot of browsing / reading on the internet and so on (so screen quality and size is hugely important to me) I do game (I haven't much because I have this horrible Dell laptop) I use to play World of Warcraft, and Diablo all the time, other then that I don't play much else. I do stream 720P / 1080 P videos to my PS3 for watching. I also occasionly use Photoshop.

I was originally looking at purchasing the 2nd highest tier 27" iMac (The one with 512 MB graphics card) but then I looked at the MacRumors buying guide and its already half way through its life cycle. I love that its a 27" screen, its 1 TB hard drive (I do have the option for external drives obviously.) and that its all in one.

However, I have been looking at the top of the line Mac Mini (the one with the graphics chip, not the integrated Intel crap) I was going to purchase that with the 27" Thunderbolt display, yes its a smaller hard drive, the graphics chip isn't as great, and I have to purchase the keyboard and mouse separately. But its brand new.

Which one should I choose? The Mac Mini ends up coasting a bit more, but is that the route I should go for my needs? Any help deciding is hugely helpful. Thanks!

*Edit - another option is I could max out that Mac Mini in specs (other then the SSD) and save money and just get a Dell monitor? Or am I better off with the Thunderbolt?

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I'd go for the iMac, the specs are much better for a smaller cost - especially the graphics card. Even though it is mid product cycle, the last update was fairly major so the next update might not be for a while or not significant (usually just a slight processor speed boost).

Only reason I would go for the mini/screen route is if you wanted to change the computer down the line (to a mac laptop maybe) and still have the improved screen space.

Hope this helps :)

3. o.neill.kid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, if I were to go with the iMac. Do you think it is better to go with the 27-inch 2.7GHz AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB for my needs? Or bump it up to the 27-inch 3.1GHz AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB?

4. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

5. o.neill.kid thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks everybody. More opinions would be awesome to help support me more :D

6. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

any more questions?!

7. imswimmin macrumors regular

For about $1900, you can get a refurbished 3.4 Ghz 27" iMac.

That may be something you want to look into. Congrats on your purchase! :)

8. o.neill.kid thread starter macrumors member

Well as this is one my largest purchases I have ever made, I want to make sure I take care of it. Any tips / tricks of getting the iMac not only running in tip top shape, but looking great as well? What are some good / bad things the physically clean the screen and aluminum? Any other help with this purchase would be incredible

I was going to go down the refurbished route, but I know I am better off purchasing new. I don't want the hassle, even though I know it would work like a charm. Its like buying a refurbished hard drive. You don't know whats really happened to it.

Plus 3.4 Ghz sounds awesome, but anything is better then my current 1.6 Ghz monstrosity of a crap Dell laptop.

9. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Save some cash... go refurb path - highly recommended. I'd rather take that avenue - which I have before, with no negatives at all. Same warranty, same service, excellent product,,, less money.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Just get the baseline iMac of whatever size you want. For your usage, that will be more than enough.

Don't get any upgrades from Apple; you can't upgrade the internal HD (from what I've read)

11. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

agree with this