New purchase help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comosum, Mar 19, 2016.

1. comosum macrumors newbie

My wife wants a new MBP, but I'm not ready to move on from my windows laptop. It looks like Apple Boot Camp is the way to go for us.

Any recommendations on what specs I should include in the new 15" MBP?

2. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

You'll need lots of space if you're going to install two OS's

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

What programs does she need/use that are WinDoze only?

4. T5BRICK, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

We can't really recommend anything if you don't tell us what your usage will be. If you're a light user, but the low end model. If you're a heavy user, you may need the higher end spec.

As someone else already pointed out, you're going to want a decent amount of storage, so the top end rMBP comes with a 512GB SSD which should suit most users very well.

5. comosum thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, definitely light users, just basic internet and office apps.

I guess my question is more about specs specific to the dual boot OS.

I have never looked much at Apple's, so when I did I found a bunch of MBP models with varying processors, and memory, I eventually realized that you could look up the model # to see what year it was made.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Get two different laptops.

Wow. Real mature.

I actually use both Mac and Windows, and I don't find one to be better than the other.

It's more down to user's preference.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Why get 2 if one will get the job done? Boot camp works really well for the few Windows only apps that are needed.

Windows 10 is actually really nice. Windows 7 is great too, but I actually prefer 10.

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

One for him. One for his wife.

I agree. I have Windows 10 on my other computer and it works quite well.

Some people makes this Mac vs Windows into a religious war and it's stupid.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I got the impression from his post that they're planning on sharing a laptop. A lot of folks do.

11. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I think the very first thing to do is to watch the upcoming Apple event on Monday. It should feature important updates to the Macbook and iPad range amongst other things.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any model 15" will fit your need. Depending on the apps and data, do you want a 512GB SSD or a 256GB SSD?

For light usage, you could probably split up 256GB drive in two, but I wonder if 128GB for each OS will be enough over the long term. I think it may be safer to get the 512GB SSD.

13. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I agree that a 512 SSD should be the way to go. It's not practical or advisable to try and upgrade storage in the future, so don't spend a lot of money on a machine that will prove limited when running two OS's with two users.

Windows has a LOT of software choices. Apple based software is very limited. Only users that use both platforms can appreciate both.

14. comosum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx T5BRICK the plan is indeed to share the laptop between the both of us. Who knows over time maybe I won't find a need for the Widows side of things.

Is there any limitation as to what version of Windows I use? I was going to install W7 and upgrade it to W10.

LiveM If Apple is going to be releasing new models soon, maybe I'll drag my feat a little bit.

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I know you didn't ask this, but...

... Does she really need a 15" display?

Have you been to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store (or perhaps a Best Buy or MicroCenter) to see what's available...?

16. comosum thread starter macrumors newbie

Fishrrman it's not a bad idea to have her look at some of the smaller models. We actually live just a few miles from a MicroCenter. She wasn't thrilled when I downgraded her from an old 17" to a 15" laptop though a few years ago.

17. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I would say that 512GB is the minimum if you're going to be actively using Windows and OS X on the system.

18. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Besides anything unveiled tomorrow, which I expect will be the replacement for the 12" Macbook (a model I would recommend), there shouldn't be anything more released until WWDC in June, when the rest of the Macbooks are usually updated.

19. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I have W10 installed on my rMBP. In my opinion, just stay with the 256GB unless you have to have more. Thats 125GB for each OS (Mine has an actual capacity of 251GB), which is plenty to install browsers, Office, a couple smaller games. I think you would be better off getting a WD My Cloud or something of the likes than spending $300 on 250 extra gigs.

As long as you are not trying to move hours of HD video, Network Attached Storage works really well in my opinion.

20. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote:
    "it's not a bad idea to have her look at some of the smaller models. We actually live just a few miles from a MicroCenter. She wasn't thrilled when I downgraded her from an old 17" to a 15" laptop though a few years ago."

My opinion is that you get more for your money with the smaller-screen models, but then my own MacBook Pro is strictly a "light-duty" and travel computer, not my "main machine".

Another suggestion:
    If your wife wants "screen real estate", consider a 13" MacBook Pro -and- an external display at home, 24" or 27" ...