New purchase, thoughts?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacMothra, Jan 18, 2014.

1. MacMothra macrumors newbie

So I bought a new iMac today, went to the apple store here and they were out of 2013 models. Well we have a few independent "Authorized Resellers" around here which I have no familiarity with but I decided to give them a shot. I was really hoping for the 2013 model and I got a little too excited and didn't double check the specs. I ended up buying the late 2012 model for the same retail price as the 2013's. (Oops) Now the 2013's weren't launched to long ago... but me jumping the gun purchased a downgraded model. It was also an open box item so i got $50 knocked off. Im not quite sure what to do. I was really hoping for the 2013 and am disappointed and a little leaved at myself for not checking before throwing down for that kind of cash. I bought a base 27", and I was really hoping for the Haswell model. My return conditions are All products must be 100% in original packaging. 14 day period for an exchange, merchandise credit or refund. A 20% open box fee may be assessed for an opened product. I kind of feel cheated because of the purchase price. I really didn't give it two thought after already shopping that day for the model only to find it out of stock. I can understand that this is kind of a smaller independent store and so they may have some older stock but I just assumed that the machine was the current model. I am kind of debating what I should do? Suck it up and live with it? Try to exchange it (the 2013 is not in stock there either), or try and go for a refund and possibly take a 20% hit on the price (which at that point I'd probably just loose out on the cash and go build another PC). I don't want to go in all in a tizzy but Im a little upset at the price/model year... I feel a little deceived and its my fault for not double checking since I assumed incorrectly. I need some advice on what to do.

Also I like the machine, I just though Haswell and updated GPU was what I was actually buying. Its also a lot of cash for me to throw down on a mac that's not quite new for full retail price when I could get better specs for the price.

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't know where you live, but here in Germany you have a 14-day return window, no questions asked and you get a full refund. Return the iMac. Get the new one if you can find it.
    Actually this is something that Apple needs to improve. There are still many countries that Apple isn't officially present. This must change. The Apple online store should also get bigger and expanded in more countries. I don't know why Apple isn't doing a lot about this.

3. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I was about to say the same as petvas.

You may have a no-questions asked return policy..
    But you mentioned that is was already an open-boxed product, I can't see how they can justify charging you 20%, just tell them you haven't opened it.

Politely explain your mistake (due to bad labelling?) and see if they give you your money back.

4. RainMeister macrumors member

It's an expensive enough purchase that you'll want to be happy with what you got, so it's worth going back to the store. Perhaps they can order you a new Haswell model and you agree to pay them full price (pay the extra $50) if they would take back the 2012 model for full credit.

On the other hand, from what I've been reading of reviews of the Haswell models, it's not much of a performance bump compared to the Ivy Bridge processor models. The biggest improvement is in increased energy efficiency, which is only meaningful if you have a MacBook. So, even if you get stuck with the 2012 model, you wouldn't be losing much from a performance standpoint.

5. pscl macrumors 6502

thats it with retailers...

the return policy of apple online stores is not the same as at retailers.

if you buy a machine in a retail store you maybe able to give it back after usage (here in germany) but you cant just simply take it back and upgrade to an other model. that are my experiences. the argument is: they ordered it just for me (BTO model) so is DO HAVE TO deal with it.

im sure this is not legal.

before i bought my 15" rmbp i ordered the maxed out 13". then i decided the 15" is the better value and called the retailer... they told me that they don`t think they might be able to cancel the order,... again, i asked them to do this. after 5 mins the called me and said it is ok.

this is ********. i got the feeling they make a fool out of me.

as seen in this forum, people order an macbook at apple online store... they check it... and if something is wrong, they just send it back to apple and get a new one.
    at a retailer... you cant just exchange it, first there is a repair.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Did they tell you it was last years model? If not they have mis sold it anyway. The 2012 machine is awesome, but if you thought you were getting the urgent model I'd feel cheated.
    Tell them you want to return it, and as it was already an open box you are not paying a 20% restocking fee. Alternatively keep it but say in light of it being last years model you would expect a bigger discount. They may let you keep it and give you a 100 store credit to avoid the hassle of having it back.
    Finally when you negotiate this do it in store on a Saturday. They are more likely to be accommodating if other customers can hear the conversation.

7. pscl macrumors 6502

I would recommend the same!

8. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

2012 is a good machine. But i would like the haswell in the 2013 for sure..
    it takes less energy and therefore produce less heat. Less heat is less fan work and that i like bigtime.

9. Bear macrumors G3

$50 off for open box is not enough of a discount. You would be better off returning it and ordering either a refurbished or new Mac directly from Apple.

10. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

You will never be happy with last years model. You'll always think it is less of a machine then this years model. I would return it and see what they have to offer.

11. MacMothra thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it started to do the spinney beach ball thing, so that kind of solidified my decision to take it back. I have the worst luck with open box items... Took it back today and just explained that it was an older model and that I was having some issues with the spinning beach ball. They were actually surprised that it was a 2012 instead of a 2013 and I guess they had it either marked as the same one in their system, or Apple actually used the same model number for both machines. In either case I was able to put in an order for the 2013 and then I got some more cash off for the new one. Cool! That was a lot easier than I had imagined and I will be getting my new 2013 in sometime this week :D Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't want to be a nit picky customer... I feel much better about having a new machine.

12. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

13. MacMothra thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my new 2013 came in today and I got most of my applications and data copied over to it this evening. It's working great, no spinning beach ball :D Im glad that I swapped it. The new one is working great. Thanks for the suggestions.

A new happy iMac owner :cool:

14. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Congrats on the new machine, Glad you were able to get a new one!