New Quad 2.8 + 8800 Hard Disk Observations

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GotPro, Feb 19, 2008.

1. GotPro macrumors 6502

Ok...

Haven't been able to post since my machine Shipped on Saturday and I got it yesterday. Just moved into a new Apartment, and internet is finally working.

So... I got the stock 320 gig (mine was a WD drive)... and it's definitely not the fastest drive in the world. I pulled an OLDER (1 year or so) 400GB WD 16 Meg Cache drive out of an old firewire case, stuck it in... and it's about 10% faster than what Apple ships as standard... but... then I was browsing in Best Buy and they had a 150GB Raptor for $165... so... I grabbed it (to check things out)...

And... well... here's what I ended up doing.

Made a 150GB Partition off my 400GB WD Drive to match the 150GB Partition on the Raptor.

I know this sounds crazy... but then I created a 300GB RAID 0 Boot Partition from the drive (even though they are mis-matched)... I didn't really even think it would work... being so mis-matched... but damnnnn!

Boot time with stock 2 gig ram (fedex couldn't find my apartments this morning with my other 2 gigs from Transintl... I'm sooo pissed)... on the stock 320GIG drive is almost 23 seconds...

With the bastard RAID 0 on the two drastically different drives? About 15 Seconds :eek:

XBENCH gives me about 182 MB/S on uncached Writes!!!!

Sweet. So... I'm thinking about picking up another Raptor and seeing what kind of performance I can squeeze out of two 10,000 drives in a RAID 0 array :)

Or, I'll return it and get a couple of the new Seagate 7100.11's (500MB @ 32Meg Cache)... My thought there is that is cheaper than a single 1 TB Drive, and I'll have 2x the cache (64 Megs / Terabyte vs 32 Megs in the single drive).

Thoughts?

Oh, and ZERO PROBLEMS with my mac pro! :)

AWESOME IN EVERY WAY!

2. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Follow up:

To test real world speed differences...

In Civilization IV (latest patch, 1650x1080 High Graphics Settings)... here are the times it takes to create a scenario and from the time you've selected your nation, maps, etc... while it works on the disks... loads the scenarios... and until the "play" button shows up:

Stock WD 320: 12.8 Seconds
    Bastard RAID: 5.9 Seconds

Thats some REAL WORLD speed improvements, my friends! :cool:

3. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Wow that's quite an improvement :eek: