New Quad Core 2013 Mac Pros $1999 at B&H

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lightsaber, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Lightsaber macrumors member

Title says it all, $1999 for a new quad core mac pro at b&h not a bad price if you are in the market for one

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

3. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Yup, new baseline is 6 core D500. Too little too late, but still a powerful, silent, fast little thing. Media server? Home automation? Siri interface? HTPC? Stick an eGPU on it for work or play? I'm gonna snatch up a bunch of these when they get dirt, dirt cheap.

4. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

Keep this in mind when I bought the only new mac I ever owned was in 2002 it was the low end MDD G4 it cost me over 1700 and change with tax at Comp USA FYI

5. Ph.D. macrumors 6502

Right, even a base 27" iMac with SSD would be faster, has some better ports, etc., and it would cost less after considering the wonderful built-in screen.

6. scoobs69 macrumors regular

scoobs69

Here's what I just priced out at pcpartpicker.com for $2,250.00

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8Xf2D8

I'm waiting to find out how the 10-core Threadripper performs in comparison to the 7900X and 7820X i9 chips. If the price is in the $500 ballpark as predicted, and the performance is close to the 7900X, I'll be jumping on Threadripper. If not, I get the feeling I'll jumping ship from Mac to PC.

...If I bought that 2013 Mac Pro, I'd be kicking myself for being entirely stoopid.

7. bowmasters macrumors newbie

Get Arctic MX-4 instead of Arctic Silver

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

That's a nice price, you can do better used on Ebay.

9. uller6 macrumors member

uller6

I picked one of these up at 2k and am totally happy with it. Tiny, silent, and plenty fast enough for audio production. I'm not interested in AMD CPUs or a windows machine as I'm heavily invested in Logic Pro. I also already have my own external displays, and don't like the glossy screen of the iMac nor the fan noise when pushed hard. Buying new instead of used off e-bay also worth it to me for the AppleCare warranty. Just a matter of opinion, but I'm happy as a clam with my new nMP.

10. Lightsaber thread starter macrumors member

Yep, could never figure out all the negativity that came back on my mention of the $1999 price for a new machine. A new 2018 mac pro will be close to $4k for starters and just go up from there. A handbuilt hackintosh, well, who needs the brain damage over keeping one of those running. Buying a used one off of ebay is just buying someone else's problem.

11. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

[citation needed]

The raw component costs are way more than that (quad core xeon, 2x AMD firepros, ECC RAM, PCI-E SSD, wifi ac and BT4 chips, 6 TB2 ports, etc.) plus you're factoring in the OS, R&D it took to make the chassis that small and quiet, warranty and support, etc.

2k is a fair price, regardless of your edgy geek opinion regarding how much you think macs are worth.

12. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Love mine as well. With egpu and VR improvements, it'll hold me over till 7,1 is ready.

13. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

That's a weak argument that we settled in the 90s.

Those components were already overpriced by the time they shipped in 2014. They are a pittance in the PC world today.

Every component has R+D before it arrives at Apple. We don't count the cost of a trash can design when we are talking about price/performance ratios.