New quad-core Xeon models are available, will there be new MacPro soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Sep 8, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I doubt it. Maybe if it (X5492) had come out months ago, but Apple will surely be switching to i7 based Mac Pros come January and to my knowledge it isn't in their style to alter a range so close to a major update. It doesn't really benefit Apple in anyway and it would only be the addition of an upgrade option (for $2400 probably) rather than anything else changing.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There will be no new Mac Pros until at least January. The new Dunningtons or whatever will not be put into the current models, and ATI has already said that they're bringing the 4870 and 4850 to the current Mac Pro.

4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Probably not. If there is, it'll most likely be a speed addition of the 3.4 GHz X5492 just like the 8-core option in 2007.

This also means that Core-based Xeons would have a higher clock speed than the first Nehalem-based Xeons (not that it makes it faster).

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Hi Tallest Skil: Could you please have a look at:
    http://www.nordichardware.com/news,8101.html

Do you think the first Nehalem MacPro will be based on the Extreme Edition 3.2GHz? From the article, it seems that it will debut in early November. How come we have to wait until January? In case it will be announced in (earlier) January, will it be available immediately or shipped "within a few weeks?"

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

These are the desktop processors. The Xeons are supposedly out at the same time, but last year the same thing happened and no major Workstation vendor was shipping systems before late December. Dell were shipping after the 20th of December, HP were shipping the same day the Mac Pro was released and Lenovo some time after that. Fujitsu and IBM followed later I believe.

I'd expect processor speeds of 2.8GHz, 3.07GHz and 3.2GHz for the Mac Pro. If Intel go higher than 3.2GHz with 3.33GHz, 3.46GHz or 3.6GHz then we may see those in the Mac Pro, but I get the impression 3.2GHz will be the top speed at launch.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Extreme is just an excuse to slap a couple hundred dollars on the price tag. It's not a Xeon, anyway.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you all of you for the info. Several people mentioned that the first generation Nehalem PC will be very expensive. Do you expect that the Nehalem based MacPro will be priced similarly to the current ones? Also, do you expect USB 3.0 will be included?

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The new Mac Pro may actually be cheaper as Apple may be able to go back to the $2,499 price. I believe they only went to $2799 to cover the increased cost of the processors, or at least because the processors were more expensive and $2,799 could be justified. There is no reason to think that the 2.8GHz Nehalem Xeon processors won't be at the $690 price point the 2.66GHz dual core processors were (2.83GHz 1333FSB cost this amount). All the other components have remained at similar prices and should continue to.

I don't expect usb 3 will be in there. Firewire 3200 seems more of a possibility though.