New Question, Old School user.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hishat, Jul 27, 2011.

1. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

Hi, have not needed to ask much questions over my while at macrumors.

Have a quick and pretty simple question that i have not found a reliable enough source to go ahead with the process.

I have the 2.26GHZ macbook pro 13". I have lost my recovery CD's. However I'm looking to upgrade to lion OS. Also upgrading the HDD myself. however can i do a OS install using the downloaded Lion OS? (bearing in mind i have not got my recovery CD's)

If not,

anyone know where i can get hold of a copy of these disks online?

Many thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

When you have the Mac App Store installed due to having 10.6.6 at least, Lion will download and start the installer automatically. If not you can always start the installer yourself, you don't need the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVDs for that. Just make a backup (use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy to an external HDD to revert back to) before installing Lion, in case you don't like it and want to revert to SL.

3. hishat thread starter macrumors regular

hishat

but i am buying a new Hard Drive, so i need a fresh install of a OS on it.

No way to install Lion as a fresh install?

Regards.

4. simsaladimbamba

Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc

5. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

You can do that, or if you have a hard drive cable sitting around, I believe that you can start the Lion installer and then install directly to the fresh drive. It should show up in the list of drives that the installer gives you. You should make the boot disc anyways so that you have it if you need it, but my recommendation is to do the install onto the new harddrive directly if you can.