New Quick look and Preview pixelated problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MIke D Green, Aug 11, 2008.

1. MIke D Green macrumors newbie

I've done some quite arduous searching through numerous forums about this problems, i've had no luck at all. I've used numerous fixes from these forums, so i'm hoping i can add another notch to that tally!

The problem i've been having can be seen in the two pictures i've attached.

When using quicklook, photos appear to have a 'stripey' transparency on them, which makes it practically useless when looking at photos. The problem goes away when its blown up to full screen, but it's not very practical when looking at a huge number of photos, as the index sheet on full screen has no navigation arrows, and is just a bit clumsier.

The same sort of problem happens when using preview, but the image has a checkered pixelated look.

It becomes even more infuriating when it occasionally it behaves itself, and acts normal, which i'm sure is mocking me as i have no idea what is causing the problem, and its more often than not that it goes wrong. It at least assures me that its not a hardware problem.

This checkered look is very similar to what happens when the screen saver comes on, which isn't as much as a problem, but i imagine is related.

What used to be an immensely helpful feature has now become an utter annoyance, and one i'd love to get rid of!

Any help or other experiences people have had would be gratefully received!

Cheers all, M

Attached Files:

2. robogobo macrumors 6502

robogobo

did you ever resolve this problem? I'm having a similar problem with pixelation in images exported from Aperture and then edited in Photoshop. Also the color profiles are not behaving properly.

Thanks,

Rob

3. pmurph5 macrumors newbie

Rob:

Photoshop and Photoshop Elements create their own preview thumbnail which is low-res. When you view the file in Finder's "coverflow" mode, the Photoshop-created preview will appear pixelated. The solution:

1) In Photoshop, turn off creation of Macintosh thumbnails. On my Photoshop Elements 6, this is done from the Preferences menu. Select the "Saving Files" tab; then under Image Previews, uncheck "Macintosh Thumbnail". This solves the problem for all future images saved by Photoshop.

2) To fix existing photo files whose Finder coverflow images appear pixelated, in Finder select the filename. Click the blue "i-in-a-circle" logo at top, or right-click on the filename and select the "Get Info" menu. In the Get Info box that appears, at the very top left there will be a small icon (just to the left of the filename). Click on this and press the Delete key to remove it. You can now close the Get Info box. If you look back in Finder's coverflow view, you will see the image is no longer pixelated but instead is much higher quality.

I am sorry, but I don't know how to do #2 for a batch of files. I only know how to do it file-by-file. If anyone knows, maybe they can post here.

4. FranCarstens macrumors newbie

You could use CocoThumbX

Open CocoThumbX and select "Remove Thumbnail". Drop you collection of images on it and it will quickly run through them deleting the thumbs.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/17460/cocothumbx

It's free last time I checked.