New Quicktime X in Snow Leopard screenshots

Discussion in 'macOS' started by InkMaster, Jun 13, 2009.

1. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

First of all, thanks for all the comments and views on the last post I made, extremely appreciate it. And so now I come back with more presents for you. This time a full walk though of the new Quicktime X in Snow Leopard with some screenshots.

Take a look over at: http://michaelflux.com/quicktime-x-in-snow-leopard

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

2. ihabime macrumors 6502

Great stuff, thanks a lot.

I do have a couple of questions.

Could you post pics of the rest of the menus so we can see what else might have been added/removed.

It looks like the Export menu is gone, has it been added to save as, or is there any evidence that export plugins still work?

Is the Quicktime pref pane still in System Preferences?

Do cut and paste still work in the edit timeline?

Thanks again.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Can you still right-click on say a movie trailer from the Apple website and save it to your computer once it's finshed downloading in the browser?

This was previously a Pro-only feature that use all the time.

4. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have not managed to get any sort of cutting or pasting or copying done in that trim interface. All you seem to be able to do is choose start point, end point and click trim. Thats it, its basically a glorified iPhone 3GS video editor now. The screenshots I'm gonna post as soon as I wake up. Typing this as I'm about to fall into bed as its past 5 in the morning already and I spent all night working :p

You can't "right click", but if you choose 'save' then you can save it without any problems :)

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So I can still save the ads and trailers off the Apple website onto my computer? Good.

6. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Is there any way to keep the controls on the screen when playing something windowed (mainly would like a progress bar to see how far through a show you are)

When viewing full screen it looks good to have nothing else on screen, but i like to see some info if its windowed

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

The full screen mode is similar to VLC player. (Which I love by the way... it plays anything).

Probably why they call it "trim". :D

So, are they going to have the QT Pro version of this thing also?

Edit: Oops... thanks for the screenshots!. Somebody else posted a short movie clip here made with the recorder. Pretty cool.

8. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

k, sorry for taking so long, here you go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

Yep its definately slicker and designed for noobs to quickly upload n share a quick click, but all the pro features have gone

10. SomeSwede macrumors member

Why on earth did they remove the ability to view the movies in half or double size?

11. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

I missed them too.
    Now I need to size it directly from the right down corner.

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

InkMaster- Thanks for the pics and descriptions.

Could you tell me about the Save for Web option. How does this work? Are there different compression options? Never used Quicktime Pro, so don't know if that was a feature already or not... Is it like Handbrake? Any thoughts you could share are appreciated!

13. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

It works just like it did in previous versions of Quicktime, at least I don't see any changes. Basically what it does is it generates multiple versions of the same movie, a different version for iPhone on Wifi, iPhone on edge, etc, and a reference file. When you want to embed that file somewhere, you just embed the reference file and then when someone tries playing it, it dynamically detects what device they're using and how much bandwidth if available to them, and based on that starts playing a different file. The reason for all of this is just to simplify the watching experience for the end user, at the expense of slightly more work for the publisher.

14. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Hmm, I wonder if the new UI that was supposed to ship with Snow Leopard was like QTX's, with the borderless windows and hover-only UI...

Imagine if Safari were like that.

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Excellent. Didn't even know that was already available.:eek: Thanks for the pic and the explanation!

16. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

No prob, happy to help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

17. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Shame, looks like it's really been dumbed-down in comparison to Quicktime Pro. Apple's done that a lot lately, like replacing the ExpressCard slot with an SD card slot (don't worry, I won't rant here ;))

Question: can you capture video from an iSight?

18. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, and not only iSight but you can pick any camera you want as long as its recognized by the system obviously - so any Firewire camera, some USB ones etc.

19. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

20. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I found the bigger/smaller options which replaced it alot more useful. You get a lot more control and it works just as well.

21. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

22. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Oh I agree. Apple's been gettin rid of "Pro" features. It's sad since the "Pro" customers were Apple's first, and loyal fans.

23. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Thanks.

24. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

Where have the preferences in the menu gone in QuickTime X? How do I make the movie start automatically when it loads? Or make all new movies open in the same window? This is annoying!

25. jpma macrumors regular

i find it strange that quicktime is so advance yet there's no easy way for a playlist