New RAID0 for OSX...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Killerbob, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am installing 2 SpinPoints in my MP (in RAID0), which already has the standard 500GB HD. Also, I will have an older 200GB HD for Vista (through Fusion).

1) Can I transfer the OSX installation the MP came with, from the std. 500GB HD, to the RAID0 array (and if so, how)? Or, do I need to re-install OSX?

2) Should I leave the RAID0 array as one single volume, or split it into smaller pieces - one for OS, one for Applications, one for scratch?

Now, please don't start lecturing me on the risks of RAID0! I have been using RAID0 arrays on PCs for many years, and will be setting up TM on my 1TB TC.

TIA

2. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

You can copy the boot drive. Google SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Carbon Copy Cloner is free and works great. I used it to clone my drive to the array.

As for your partitioning question. I say leave it as one big partition. The performance benefit of having more partitions is negligible. I'm also not sure if HFS2+ even optimizes each partition like UFS2. I have one large partition on my Mac Pro on my Samsung raid.

Good luck with the sammys, I'm sending mine back, they make a weird/buzz/drone sound every 20 minutes or so that's annoying the hell out of me. I'm replacing then for the exact same models though.

4. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!!!

Follow up question;

When I install the 200GB HD I intend to use for Vista, will I be able to see the data in OSX? The drive is currently formatted NTFS, and all my normal data is on it. And, when I then re-format it, I guess I will do that from Vista, through Fusion?

Finally, do I need to do something special to move my user folder onto the 500GB single drive? For data etc.

TIA

5. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Yes you can browse the NTFS partition. OSX has NTFS drivers. As for the 500gb drive and your user folder. You can mount the user folder onto the 500gb drive. Probably via terminal, not sure how to do it thru the GUI.