New Ram and Hard Drive question!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Anderson3133, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Ok so I reside in Canada and I am looking to purchase new Ram and a new Hard Drive for my refurb Macbook. I would like to know if anyone here has dealt with a company that ships to Canada and how much 2 Gigs of ram and like a 120GB Hard Drive would cost me. Thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

A variety of companies will ship to Canada, but you have to take into account the extra costs: Shipping is usually more, you will have customs brokerage fees for the paperwork (ranging from $5 to $45), you will be charged GST and provincial tax on import, and your charge card company will charge a commission on foreign exchange, usually 4.5% worse than the 'official' exchange rate.

Finally, if you have a warranty issue, the return shipping and reimporting will usually be at your expense.

If you check around a bit, you'll find good options for suppliers within Canada.

3. Laco macrumors 6502

TigerDirect.ca is good (the prices are in Canadian dollars and they ship to Canada from Canada))

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Nav=|c:1277|

If you live in southern Ontario...factory direct is great i go there all the time ....but much of their things are "refurbished" from the factory....so keep that in mind but many of there things are also brand new i think they also ship

http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/category_list.php?cat=0310

the price for that hardrive size should be between about 80 to 120 CDN depending on all sorts of factors like name brand and RPM....but if you spend 30 to 50 bucks more you can double the storage....so i would consider that if i were you .

4. Laco macrumors 6502

ohh another good trick is to buy something from an alberta computer store and get them to send it to you....you won't have to pay PST since they don't have it in the province....its perfectly legal and and a good way to save some bucks...of course you will have to search online for computer stores from alberta that have websites...i bought a gps system this way....oh and you don't have to pay any duties...which is also great.

5. Anderson3133 thread starter macrumors regular

These are all reasons why I was looking for a company within Canada. I took a look around on your website and I think it may be the place I buy my new Ram and HDD.

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I've bought RAM and a harddrive at Canada Computers. They have a bunch of stores in Ontario, and good prices.

7. Anderson3133 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. Also, I see you have a 2.0 Ghz MB (assuming it's a Santa Rosa) . How much memory can I hold? I always forget whether it's Santa Rosa that can Hold the 4+ or it's only 3.3GB Thanks

8. Remoth macrumors newbie

all the intel Core 2 Duos can support 4 gigs of ram. it's the core duos that cant. Yours can.

Go to www.macsales.com. They are cheap.

9. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I just bought 4Gb of Ram for both my MBP and iMac at $39.00 for 2Gb. From a company called NCIX in Vancouver. Granted it was on sale then, but it's still only around $55 for 2Gb.

Not sure if you're in Vancouver or not, but if so, there's a place called Crystal Mall on Kingsway that has really cheap stuff.

Cheers.

10. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

Is your current HD in the Macbook an 80GB one? I would suggest skipping 120gigs and get either a 160 or 250 if your budget permits. If you're going to replace the Hard disk, install OS X, then for all your trouble wouldn't it be better to not have to do it again when you've reached using up those 120gigs and have to get something bigger? :eek:

11. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I think the point for the OP was to find a Canadian reseller vs. paying customs fees, etc.