New RAM - Apple Hardware Test Help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by h4m, Feb 11, 2008.

1. h4m macrumors newbie

Hi,

The first RAM I received for my mac pro 2.8 8 Core Jan 08 failed both the basic and extended Apple Hardware Test with result code 4MEM/9/40000006: B:1 C:0 R:1 so I sent it back for replacement.
    However I've just received my replacement 2 x 2 GIG RAM and it showed a fail code when running the basic test on AHT yet when I ran the extended test there were no problems found.

Should I be concerned? Is the extended test more reliable?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

send the RAM back for refund and order from another retailer

3. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Where did you bought it? what brand?

WP

4. h4m thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to avoid having to do that again if possible as I'm in the UK and the retailer is in the US which means I have to ship back at my own expense.

The retailer in question is only one of a handful of decent companies that actually have this particular ram available. I'm yet to find anyone in the UK.

So I assume any fail is bad right?

5. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Vistit here, in Germany. Seems ok...
    http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/is-bi...yID=cETVqHzl7GoAAAEVQB1Wf70R&JumpTo=OfferList

First brands like Infineon, Micron or Hynix. 10 years warranty...

WP

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

You should have ordered from Crucial. They're plenty of RAM suppliers in the UK, do some Googling.

7. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

There is no 800Mhz ram in crucial by now...

8. peejack macrumors 6502a

9. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Where did you buy it from?

10. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Crap? the picture or the brand name...

WP

11. h4m thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it from OWC (OWC Qualified).

Update on AHT tests:

Test 1 (Basic): 1 module with error code

Test 2 (Extended): PASS

Test 3 (Basic): PASS

Test 4 (Extended): PASS

It has now passed two extended AHT tests and one basic test having only failed the very first basic test.

I'm beginning to think this ram IS working ok, although I am still a little concerned it didn't pass the first basic test.

I'm going to use the RAM for a couple of days keeping an eye out for error codes and will update further then.

However in the meantime if anyone knows for sure if failing one basic test but passing three others means the RAM definitely has problems please let me know!

Thanks!

12. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Returning the affected ram for a replacement is the best option IMHO. Granted you are from the UK, but shipping is not that bad to the states. You should make full use of the lifetime warranty from OWC. Do not be put off by the wait and hassle. You will later be rewarded with gratification when everything is working fine eventually.

I saw return it for a replacement. Have you spoken to an OWC rep yet?

13. h4m thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have spoken to OWC tech support. He did think it was strange that it failed the first test but passed the others but he also said must people just put the ram in and don't bother testing so data is very limited. He suggested keeping an eye on errors over a couple of days.

Interestingly enough he said the first set that I returned previously passed an extended AHT at OWC with no problems and he confirmed that, as requested, the replacement modules (that I received today) were tested before being sent. I have faith that this has been done therefore the ram should be good.

I hear what you are saying about returning them for peace of mind but I am reluctant to do so because I really do need them and it will cost me another $100 to get it done quickly. Unless anyone knows any cheaper ways of doing it?

Really I just need to know: does any fail on AHT mean problems or could AHT get it wrong the first time and on subsequent re testing be more accurate?

14. peejack macrumors 6502a

Why are you paying $100 for a return? If they are faulty or DOA then OWC should pay any return/shipping fees.

15. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I've re-read what you wrote.

I'm a little puzzled how the same RAM can failed the first basic test and passed the subsequent ones. :confused: But since subsequence tests had shown the RAMs to be OK, then I guess it shouldn't cause any cause of alarm. I think I would do the same as you and use the RAM as it is for now and monitor for any error codes.

In the meantime, why don't you test the RAMs with another application (Memtest) and see how it comes through?

Interesting to know that the same RAM tested in two different environment can have different results. I am also very curious for the difference in result.

16. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

h4m, I'm not expert in RAM, but by the law of average, it seems your RAM had passed more test than it failed. It even passed the test at OWC.

So if I'm you, I would stick to it first. I don't see there's a cause for concern right now. Just monitor for any error codes.

Incidentally, does OWC cover shipping if you return the RAMs?

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No company pays return shipping on international shipments. That's the difference, when you order across borders, you lose some of those services.

18. peejack macrumors 6502a

Ah right. I didn't know that :eek: Hope mine is ok.