New RAM compatibility with MacBook Pro logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Burnsie68, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Burnsie68 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for any support.

I have a MacBook Pro Laptop and I recently received new RAM chips (Specs below) to increase my computers performance. I installed these myself (So possible user error involved) and my computer booted up perfectly. System Profiler shows the proper 8GB Memory and other info; however I quickly started experiencing many problems that I will detail below. My question is if these new RAM chips are actually compatible with my computer or not.

Computer:
    -Mid-2009 MacBook Pro 13" Aluminum Unibody
    -2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    -Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.6
    -(Previous RAM) 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) 1066MHz DDR3
    -Windows 7 Bootcamp Partition as well

New RAM:
    -Product Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-226-015&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4#scrollFullInfo
    -Mushkin Enhanced 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Model 976644A
    -Purchased through Newegg

Problem Description:
    -Boot-up now takes anywhere from 2-20 minutes including accounts that are not my own
    -Frequent Kernel Panics (1 every other day or so)
    -Many different programs are quitting unexpectedly (Sometimes pretty much instantly or hours later. Some program crashes include Firefox, Photoshop, Python, Safari, etc)
    -I've noticed these problems compound once they start. I may reopen a program that quit unexpectedly than more and more bad things happened fairly quickly after the first error.

So far I have:
    - Restarted computer and tried with different user accounts
    - Reinstalled problem programs
    - Took out and reinserted new RAM (I have not reverted back to old RAM quite yet)
    - Verified/Repaired Disk and Permissions multiple times (There are permission errors that were there before the new RAM that still persist)
    - Erased Mac HD through Disk Utility and completely reformatted with original install disk then restored from a Time Machine Backup. (All while retaining windows partition, might be worth trying while also ditching this partition)
    - Booted into Safe Mode but still experienced problems
    - Booted into Single User Mode to clear system caches
    - Ran TechTool Deluxe from AppleCare which reported no problems

CURRENTLY:
    I'm running a triple sweep with logs of memtest OSX through Single User Mode from this link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=788590.
    So far it has reported a couple data mismatch errors.

Overall:
    Ok that was probably more info than you wanted to read but thank you if you did. At this point I should stop being stubborn and just reinstall my old RAM chips but these new ones are a gift and the refund timeframe has already expired, so I REALLY want these to work. I can provide Error and System Diagnostic Logs once the affected computer is done with the memtest sweeps.

Again, I read through reviews of the new RAM chips and there are definitely compatibility issues despite Mushkin's promise. However, I have read reviews and found some people with the same MacBook Pro model that report sweet compatibility success or tragic hardware sob stories. So I'm thinking that there IS a way to make it work, it just isn't immediately apparent. I found a motherboard compatibility list on the Mushkin website but I'm having a tough time figuring out exactly what model of logic board the affected Mac has...so i can't compare.

SO...any thoughts?
    How can I find my exact motherboard model?
    Are these new RAM chips compatible or should I just cut my losses?

Thanks again for reading!

2. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

put your old ram back in
    if everything works then return your ram to newegg, and get another brand like crucial or gskill ( I am using crucial)

if everything does not work, then your computer is bonked and you need to go talk to a apple store genius