New RAM for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jvpython, Dec 2, 2011.

1. jvpython macrumors 6502

Since the RAM upgrades through Apple are quite expensive I usually buy RAM from Crucial.com for example. But there's something I've been wondering for some time now. Let's say I was to upgrade the RAM in my Mac to 8GB. In terms of performance is it better to have fewer cards but denser (ie. 2x4GB) or more, but less dense cards (ie. 4x2GB) . I do know that denser cards are more expensive. But which option would be better not regarding the price?

2. jvpython thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes so what i'm asking is regardless of the price is it better to just add 2 more 2GB cards or to replace the 2 cards with 4GB cards? Thanks

3. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's dependant on how much RAM you need or want. Let's take your example of 8GB, the iMacs comes as standard 4GB (2x2GB), leaving another 2 slots free, so it would be cheaper just to get another 4GB (2x2) RAM set for your iMac.
    But if you want 16GB of RAM, then you need to replace the 4GB set with an 8GB (2x4GB) and also add another 8GB RAM set. If you want 12GB of RAM, then keep the 4GB installed and add another 8GB RAM set (2x4) in the spare 2 sets

And also, that ppt person who replied first is trying to advertise thier business by providing links at the end of thier post, and not really helping anyone.