New RAM for Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danielwerner, May 19, 2013.

1. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I would avoid corsair if I were you, Macs can be picky and you would not be the first one with problems with corsair.
    Crucial has little to no problems, but they are not the cheapest, especially not in Europe.

3. technowar macrumors 6502

I am currently using GSkill right now and it has been working pretty well since then.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As long as it meets the specs, any brand will work. RAM is a commodity and the brands are all the same.

Just get whatever is cheapest from a reliable vendor that will be there is you have a failure and need to exchange.

5. dannyp1996 macrumors member

I will have to politely disagree with this. I use Corsair RAM in my Mac and have no issues. I also use many more Corsair products in other computers. Corsair have been in the memory business for almost 20 years and in that time they have built up a reputation for legendary reliability across all their products.

While people do have issues with Corsair RAM, there equally issues with RAM from other manufacturers.

To the OP: As long as you buy the correct spec RAM for your Mac Mini you'll be fine. Use Crucial's Memory Advisor to find this information and then shop around through all the stores that are available in your country.

6. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

This one THOUSAND times!

Anyone that argues against this has been brainwashed :p!

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Then tell me why it is almost always Corsair having problems and NEVER Crucial.
    I am on this site most of the day and most complaints/non working RAM here is Corsair.

But, I have a 2012 Mini, got a free 8GB upgrade and it's generic memory, works well and Memtest is Error free.

8. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

You're unlucky I guess.

9. COrocket macrumors 6502

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am on the forums quite a bit and I have never really noticed any trend of one brand or another having more problems.

If anything, I see a lot of OWC RAM complaints, but I suspect that is because they sell more "Mac" RAM than other vendors. I'll save my OWC rant for another post. :)

11. jg321 macrumors 6502

Agreed. Any other "trends" are likely just specific to a subset of users, as has been mentioned with OWC and this site for example.

12. Ifti macrumors 68000

I use crucial in both my Mac Mini Server and my MBP. Never had any issues whatsoever.

13. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Go to Crucial's home page and use the Memory Advisor tool. It will tell you exactly what you need based on your machine. OWC is good for comparison but you have to click around a bit to find what you need. I have had good customer service and quality product from both.