New RAM in iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ghsNick, Jun 23, 2012.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I have 4 GB of RAM in my 21 inch iMac...I want to add another 4 (2 2 GB)...can anyone recommend me the cheapest (obviously good, but not expensive ones) that you would recommend? I'd like to buy online and install myself.

Thanks

2. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

3. OCICILIONI macrumors member

best RAM

I recommend Other World Computing. They have great RAM and it is very affordable. They have instructional videos on their website for how to install. They make it very easy to select the proper RAM for your computer. I have 64GB of RAM from OWC that I installed on my MacPro server and it has been working great for the past 1.5 yrs.

4. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Thanks...got the 2 x 2 for $32.
    Not a HEAVY user but I want 8 GB of memory so I could use this bad boy for 4-5 years before another iMac upgrade (I've got the mid 2011).

Another question...I use this hard drive to run Time Machine updates.

I'd like another external hard drive (preferably 500GB) so I can put my iTunes on it...I want to use my 500 GB hard drive on my iMac for everything else and 500 GB external for my iTunes...what's a good external for that? (Again, cheap but good, I don't want it dying on me)...I know the external I have now isn't the greatest but I think it'll be fine for Time Machine backups...Want a better one for iTunes.

Again, thanks for the help.

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

For running iTines I’d suggest looking into Firewire 800 Drives. They cost a bit more than USB but for streaming stuff I find they work much better. Something like [URL="http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822205162”]this[/URL] would probably work well but, again, it comes at a cost considering you can get 2TB drives on sale for the same price.

If you don’t mind it being a bit slower (which for iTunes it would likely be alright) any USB drive will work really. I usually buy Seagate or Western Digital ones but they’ll all run about the same. Just make sure not to fall for “Mac Hard Drives” as they are generally just slapping mac on it to sell it at a higher price. Especially after a re-format any drive is fine.

As a note By the way, it’s too late since you ordered, but I would have suggested going with 8GB of RAM to bring your total up to 12. That way if you ever wanted to get what apple claims is the max of 16 you’d just need another 8GB set rather than a full 16. Anyway, what’s done is done. I only have 8GB in mine as well and, from the sounds of it, I do more intensive work than you do so I wouldn’t worry.

6. ghsNick, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Would this one or this one work? I have a mid 2011 iMac.

It costs $10 more and seems like it's worth it. Didn't know if there are better brands or if the one I just got is the same except for it being smaller?

I guess I'm wondering if there are better brands? And if it doesn't matter I can just cancel my order and get the larger one.

7. boto macrumors 6502

boto

8. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Damn...wish I would've know about these when I ordered...

Is the one I ordered okay/energy efficient?

And is this Firewire Hard Drive as good as the one posted above?

9. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Yup, those are fine. They are standard 1333Mhz RAM modules. Otherwise, as for the firewire external HD, it seems expensive. I would rather purchase a USB 3.0/2.0 1TB which is about $40-50 cheaper.

10. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

What's the difference between the 1333Mhz vs the 1600Mhz you posted?

11. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I have a 500GB Hard drive and only have 100GB left from my iTunes library so I'm in a dilemma.

I want one external hard drive (about 500-750) for just my iTunes.
    I want another one (1 Tb...like I have) for Time Machine Back Ups and CCC. I'll partition it 500/500.

What's the best way of going about this? Bc I fear that the external with my iTunes will die or something and I'll be screwed!

12. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

The difference is that the RAM you ordered is clocked at 1333 MHz - or 1.33 GHz. The RAM he posted is clocked at 1600 MHz - or 1.6 GHz.

Basically the 1600 MHz RAM is faster than the 1300 MHz ram you ordered.

But, it's not that faster. Is 0.3 GHz going to make THAT big of a difference?

13. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

OKay...yeah I don't mind...iMacs (at least mine) came with 1333Mhz so what I bought will be fine.