New RAM is GREAT!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlusk99, Apr 30, 2013.

1. jlusk99 macrumors member

I received shipment of a 16GB RAM kit from Crucial for my mid 2012 base 15in MBP. I was getting some beachballs and lags when a lot of stuff was open, and significant page outs.

So now I was only able to get a millisecond beach ball by opening about 10 different programs at once. Everything opens slightly faster and it's just snappier. I hope it keeps up this way. Might be the best $100 I've spent in a long time. I really don't think 4GB is enough anymore if you are running several things at once (or are too lazy to close down stuff when you're done with it, like me). Well it's ENOUGH, but I think it's really the bare minimum you need to operate the system smoothly. Not saying you need 16GB either, but it was only 20 bucks more than 8GB, so I just went for it, and I'll never have to add RAM to this particular unit ever again.

Will wait and see how far SSD prices drop in the next several months to make a decision about my next upgrade.

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

If you were pleased with the RAM, you will be thrilled when you put in a SSD.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

My thoughts exactly. The difference between upgrading the SSD and RAM is very different. SSD will be a massive improvement. RAM is great too, but not to the extent of an SSD ;)

4. TheMacLion macrumors newbie

Quick question, I have a mid 2009 and I recently upgraded my RAM to 8GB. from my Mac info it told me that 8gb was the max I could upgrade to. Is yours the same? Or did your mac tell you that 16gb was the max you could upgrade. Would suck because I already bought and installed the 8gb if I am able to upgrade to 16gb.

5. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

Crucial rocks!! lifetime warranty, cant beat that!!! :D:D:apple::D:D

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Your max is 8, his is 16 because he has a 2012.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

OS X stores many previously opened files and applications in the RAM, if you have enough RAM. Your Mac Mini 2012 RAM is at least 20 times faster (≈ 12 GB/s) than your ≈ 500 MB/s SSD. I measured the real speed of the OS X RAM cache and got results between ≈ 200 MB/s and ≈ 500 MB/s on a Early-2011 MBP with 16 GB 1333 MHz RAM (no SSD).