New RAM... issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rye9, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I installed a 512MB RAM card in today... and started my iBook, it registered it... more RAM.. more speed... great. Then, a few hours later (a few minues ago)... my iBook froze completely.. the time stopped, trackpad... everything. So I held the power button down... shut it down.. and turned it back on. Now, the RAM isn't recognized. Could it have possibly fell out???? If so, how? It was snapped in and recognized the first time?

Also, my iBook at first didn't recognize the RAM bc it was installed wrong the first time.. so i've shut this thing down and turned it on about 3 times today... is that harmful?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you mean it was installed wrong the first time?

Also it's possible your RAM is defective; it worked the first time because it was good then the computer detected errors and now it doesn't work.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

I mean I put it in, but not all the way... so it didn't read it.

And how would I know whether the RAM is defective or not? I ordered it from crucial.com; so I trust it to be of decent quality... I don't know; I've never installed RAM before so I hope I can get some guidance through this. I just want it to work. :p

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The clips on the side 'snapping' into place are not indication that it is properly installed.

First, make sure the slot in the RAM connector edge matches the key in the socket. Hold the RAM at approximately a 30 - 45 degree angle, then push the connector edge into the socket.

Now, with both thumbs on the long edge of the RAM, push in with modest force, to make sure the pins are fully seated into the socket contacts. This must be done while the RAM is still up on the angle.

Then, lay the RAM down to the flat position; the clips will click in on either side.

Inspect the RAM at the socket; there should be none or very few of the gold pin contacts remaining visible, and the RAM should be perfectly parallel with the socket. If it is angled, or you can see more than 1/16" (1 mm) of contacts, take it right out and do it again. You cannot push it successfully in while it is flat.

5. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

I understand this; but my concern is that I had it in before... and then my computer froze and now it's not recognized. I haven't shut it down for a 4th time yet today =/... so I don't know whether it fell out or something; but again that's my concern, I don't know how it would fall out if secured and recognized before.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well have you lifted the keyboard up and looked again?

Either the RAM is improperly installed or it is likely defective. One of the two. It happens.

7. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

I'm not able to check with the computer still on, correct?

And what will be the determining factor if it's defective?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Umm, yeah, you need to shut the machine off and remove the battery before disassembling it.

The determining factor it is defective is if it crashes your machine or is not recognized. Put the old RAM back in, if the crashing stops, then it was the 512.

Really, youre overthinking this -- once youre confident the RAM is installed correctly, and its still giving you trouble, then call Crucial (or your seller) and arrange for a return