Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
I have just installed 1gb more memory today in my PB 15in that i got last september. making my total 1.5gb. Tonight as i am using it, i seem to be feeling the powerbook getting alot hotter than normal where my wrists sit and over the keyboard. Is this normal? I havent ever heard of/seen anything like this in any other laptop. Suggestions?
Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
All RAM radiates heat, and the more bits, the more transistors are busy turning electrical energy to thermal energy.

Did you 1 Gb module have on it rectangular chips with pins running up either long edge? Or square small chips with no visible pins (sometimes the small chips are coated with a black coating that liiks as if it was poured on)?

The larger, rectangular chips are the old-style TSOP construction, these throw more heat than the new MBGA (Micro Ball Grid Array) construction with the small thin square chips. (and because more heat is wasted, more battery power is used up)

The MBGA design doesn't have pins, because the connections are made with a grid of solder "balls" on the underside of the chip, that mate with a grid of depressions on the circuit board. Think of two ice cube trays, one inverted on the other, with a golf ball in each cavity. The golf ball is the solder that aligns and connects the chip's contact to the corresponding board contact. Because the chip is smaller and more efficient, it runs at a lower temp.

(Sorry, I just happen to think stuff like this is cool...)

If you are being offered 1 Gb modules in the TSOP format, you know these are older, obsolete modules. TSOP is still used in smaller capacities of SODIMMs and in DIMMs, although we are starting to see MBGA DIMMs coming on the market.

Thanks,
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
CanadaRAM said:
All RAM radiates heat, and the more bits, the more transistors are busy turning electrical energy to thermal energy.

Did you 1 Gb module have on it rectangular chips with pins running up either long edge? Or square small chips with no visible pins (sometimes the small chips are coated with a black coating that liiks as if it was poured on)?

The larger, rectangular chips are the old-style TSOP construction, these throw more heat than the new MBGA (Micro Ball Grid Array) construction with the small thin square chips. (and because more heat is wasted, more battery power is used up)

The MBGA design doesn't have pins, because the connections are made with a grid of solder "balls" on the underside of the chip, that mate with a grid of depressions on the circuit board. Think of two ice cube trays, one inverted on the other, with a golf ball in each cavity. The golf ball is the solder that aligns and connects the chip's contact to the corresponding board contact. Because the chip is smaller and more efficient, it runs at a lower temp.

(Sorry, I just happen to think stuff like this is cool...)

If you are being offered 1 Gb modules in the TSOP format, you know these are older, obsolete modules. TSOP is still used in smaller capacities of SODIMMs and in DIMMs, although we are starting to see MBGA DIMMs coming on the market.

Thanks,
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Ok, that was one kickbutt answer.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Yea wow... Thanks Trevor. I dont remember exactly because i didnt really look at the chip a whole lot before i put it in. I think its the MGBA ram as the only pins i see are for the connection to the ram slot in the PB

this is a pic of what i got.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=20-155-111-01.JPG&CurImage=20-155-111-01.JPG&Description=KINGMAX%201GB%20200-Pin%20DDR%20SO-DIMM%20DDR%20333%20(PC%202700)%20Notebook%20Memory%20Model%20MSAD42D-KI%20-%20OEM

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
agentphish said:
Yea wow... Thanks Trevor. I dont remember exactly because i didnt really look at the chip a whole lot before i put it in. I think its the MGBA ram as the only pins i see are for the connection to the ram slot in the PB

this is a pic of what i got.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=20-155-111-01.JPG&CurImage=20-155-111-01.JPG&Description=KINGMAX%201GB%20200-Pin%20DDR%20SO-DIMM%20DDR%20333%20(PC%202700)%20Notebook%20Memory%20Model%20MSAD42D-KI%20-%20OEM

You're correct, that is MBGA RAM

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Thanks again for the help.
I took it out and then took out my original 512, and changed places between the two and it seems to be running cooler, go figure. By the way, that ram is the best deal around at under 120 for 1gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.