New RAM now noise?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by millcityFC35, Jul 31, 2008.

1. millcityFC35 macrumors newbie

I just had a reputable dealer install 3 GB of RAM in my mac mini (late 2007) and now it makes a loud noise. I can see that it recognizes all 3 GB so is the RAM defective? The RAM is mac certified crucial kit bought new. Is there anything I can do before I have to bring it back?:confused:

2. Verdanice macrumors regular

Did the noise start immediately after the work was done? If not, they're probably not related. The only moving parts within your Mac Mini are the cooling fan and hard drive, and which one is causing the noise depends on what it sounds like. Does it sound like friction, grinding? Just a loud humming? The former would indicate an issue, most likely with the fan (as when a hard drive makes that kind of noise, it usually isn't functional), while the latter indicates that your machine is working harder to keep itself cool - which would point to a change in the way you're using the machine (utilizing more resources than previously) or an issue with heat.

3. millcityFC35 thread starter macrumors newbie

The noise started immediately after the work was done. It sounds like the cooling fan on high. Would bad RAM make the mini run hotter? I would have never guessed adding RAM would do that. Thanks for your help Verdanice!

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

more RAM = more heat inside the case. So it's certainly a possibility.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

More likely that the machine was put back together with a wire or something touching the fan blades. Or some component loose in the case.

Why not you take it back to the tech to redo it?

6. rustyk123 macrumors member

First off I know this is old but this would now be information for someone else later on.

I just completed upgrading the mid 2007 mac mini and was having the same problem. The fan should not be any louder because of more memory. In my case it was simply leaving one cable unplugged. There is a small 2pin connector at the front of the mac mini 2007 series that if left unplugged the fans will kick up speed.