Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galeann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I have a problem with the new ram I bought.

I have an ibook 1.2ghz PowerPC G4, it has 256 built in memory. I ordered a ACP-EP Memory 1GB PC2100 200-PIN DDR 266MHz SODIMM from eMartBuy through Amazon.com. They sent me a 1 GB Type: DDR SDRAM Speed: PC2700U-30330 (this is how my computer reads it). There was no information included in the packaging of the Ram. My computer is seeing the new ram, OSX starts fine, but my other programs Safari, Adobe CS, Microsoft Entourage, etc. won't startup. The desktop even made icons go wierd. I tryed restarting and resetting PRAM this did not work. I removed the RAM PC2700 and than the computer was fine again. I than installed it again same problems, removed it computer fine.

Can anyone tell me what is the problem with this RAM PC2700?
I would really appriecate it! :)

Thank you
gale

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
That is weird. Mine is from the same time as yours. I have the 14" model. I bought PC2100 RAM and the computer recognized it as PC2700 also, but I have had none of the problems that you are having. Maybe it was a bad stick of RAM.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 101

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Since DDR RAM is backwards compatible, PC2700 RAM should work in a computer specced for PC2100...it will just run slower. Many places offer just PC2700 because it is newer, in more plentiful supply, and thus cheaper than PC2100.

So it may just be a bad stick of RAM...

galeann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Thank you!

Thank you for your replies.

It maybe bad RAM, I just hope eMartBuy will let me return it. What a pain!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
You can even use up to a pc3200 stick in your laptop. I have a 1gig stick of good ram taken out of an iBook I can sell you, too. It's actually better to have a faster speed ram chip in your iBook because it is usable and therefore resaleable for other computers. I have one PC2100 stick (also in a 1.2ghz iBook) that will not work in faster iBooks or Powerbooks, stuck there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.