Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hey,

I ordered a 1GB PC2700 333Mhz module for my computer from eBay. It arrived today, and when I installed it, I started the computer up and got a loooong beep and the power light pulsated and the computer never started. I tried installing it in another slot and the same thing.

I'm worried, I paid £55 for this - will I get my money back? I have emailed the person responsible however they may take a while to reply.

Shaun.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sometimes trying to save some money, is an expensive lesson.

Looks like you got some bad memory, or the bought the wrong spec -- with some of the typical PC requirements that don't work on a Mac.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Well its PC2700, 333Mhz, and Non-Ecc (as there are 16 modules which is not divisible by 3 or 5 (which means it is not ECC).

It should work.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
How about it being unbuffered/unregistered, or having the presence detect serial EEPROM set to properly define the DIMM configuration.

Usually the EEPROM wont be properly burned on some PC DIMMs, but the Mac requires it to be configured correctly -- since this is how the machine detects the DIMM specs.

Pizza Boy

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2005
if you have an computer electronics store in your area, you can ask them to test the memory for you. Compusa does it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.