New RAM...Three Beeps...Why????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sherman90, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Sherman90 macrumors newbie

Mid-2010 17" Unibody. According to system profile, currently has 4GB of 1067mhz DDR3 RAM. Purchased 2x4GB Corsair "Mac" RAM @ 1066Mhz CL7 DD3. Every time I pop the new ram in and try turning the machine on, I get the three beeps...

Any suggestions???

2. ChrisMan287 macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your RAM could be defective, but it's more likely that it's not properly seated. Sometimes it takes more pressure than you expect to seat the RAM sticks.

4. Sherman90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it's defective. I've tried four or five times now. The original RAM works just fine, with an equal amount of pressure to seat.

I'll return. In case I'm missing something, any technical reasons why this RAM wouldn't work?

5. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yeah.. The 'Three Beeps' is a notification of a RAM Error, and as mentioned it would be likely that it was not seated well, except that you say you have done it several times..

I had a '3 beep' problem with mine a few months after replacing my stock RAM, but it turned out to be the Ram Slot 1/Logic Board, but I did try any/all combinations of my Stock and New RAM at the time.. So if you want to narrow it down, and not send ALL the RAM sticks back, you could try One of each to see if it still goes into Error.. Then you would know if you only have ONE bad stick.. :apple:

Good Luck.. Hope return is a simple process too!!

6. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Try one stick at a time, see if either stick works. If one stick works, exchange it for another kit. if neither one works, Return it and buy something else.

Keep in mind you don't have to buy "Mac" RAM. I'd look at Corsair, Crucial and g.skill. Just read through the reviews on Amazon or Newegg to see if other Mac users have had success.

Personally I have Corsair valueram in my mid 2009 MBP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145281