New RAM = Void Apple Warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mxelre, Mar 2, 2008.

1. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

Well title basically says it all but I just wanted to know if I get new memory from newegg, does it void the warranty?:confused:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no, but if there is a problem with the ram, apple won't help you.

so upgrade away, just get a warranty with the ram

3. mxelre thread starter macrumors member

mxelre

Alrigthy! Thank you

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

But, if you screw up your machines BECAUSE you were trying to install the RAM it is NOT covered. I've read a few stories of people messing up their machines while installing RAM. That is not covered by Apple.

5. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

What I usually do is replace the ram with aftermarket ram but hold onto the Apple ram and put it back in if I need to send in the laptop for repair. Apple has a habit of blaming issues on 3rd party ram.

6. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

yup. asked today if i had it and they said that 23094209 things happen because of it which is totally not true except maybe 2 which i have no clue what they are

7. mxelre thread starter macrumors member

mxelre

yeah ok...I was going to sell them...but I guess I'll keep them close! Thx for the advice

8. comptr macrumors 65816

So If i need to take in my computer into service I need to replace the 3rd party ram with the original ram? Because when I went to the apple store yesterday and asked if installed 3rd party ram and if it would void applecare they said no but it would void the warranty on the original ram. No where did they tell me if I install 3rd party ram i need to replace it with the orginal ram or they won't fix it. I am going to ask again to make sure when i pick up my computer.

9. jjasonwrght macrumors member

jjasonwrght

No, but they will BLAME it on the ram. Read more carefully next time, he NEVER said they wouldn't fix it.

10. comptr macrumors 65816

O oops :eek:

11. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

Does this mean "they'll blame the ram, but then swap it out for known good ram if you send it off for service," or "they'll blame the ram and refuse to let you send it in until you change it"?

12. benjaminbr macrumors member

hold on to your old apple ram, and if there are any problems in the future, swap the new ram out for the old ram before you send your mac into applecare/warranty fix. That way they wont blame the ram. AFAIK, they cant tell you used different ram.

13. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Yeah keep your apple ram, and if anything messes up, don't mention ANYTHING about EVER CHANGING ram, or anything else for that matter. :)

14. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

They may if the problem is RAM related, but I have never seen it happen with RAM from a quality supplier such as Crucial. I have seen techs blame RAM related problems on super cheap odd brands (and they may be right). I have never swapped my original RAM back in when I have needed a repair and I have never had a problem with that.

15. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

first what is afaik
    and two how can they tell?

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If chmod RAM then Void_Apple_Warranty = FALSE

17. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

::whoosh:: I know only enough about programming to /think/ this is a joke, but not enough to know so.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you change the RAM your warranty won't be voided ;).

19. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

AFAIK=AS FAR AS I KNOW

And they can tell by the Warranty Sticker on the RAM indicating who it came from [OWC, CRUCIAL etc]... I just upgraded both my MacPro and my new MBP with RAM kits from OWC.

The MacPro took a whole 2 minutes [or less]... the MBP took longer... be careful of those screws on the memory cover... THEY ARE TINY!!!!!!

20. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

nope...

upgrade your ram, it does not void warranty. except on the mac mini.

21. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I believe even on the Mac mini this does not void your warranty.

22. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

What about if the problem lies in faulty ram slots?
    Nobody in their right mind would pay Apple prices for extra ram so how would one deal with the situation if the extra ram itself wasn't faulty but the slots they go into were?
    Taking out the extra ram and putting the original ones back would not address that problem.
    Is it some sinister catch 22 to avoid having to service ram cards with faulty slots?

23. iMack007 macrumors member

Hmm...could avoiding a swap of memory be as simple as changing the stickers? I mean there would be no way of knowing unless the company was etched into the RAM itself.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple doesn't care, I've taken my laptop in for repair many times with third party RAM in it, I mention it so that they know its mine, but other than that they really have no problem. If the RAM was found to be at fault however, you would be charged for the repair, so its worth keeping the original RAM just in case.

25. joshua-feinberg macrumors newbie

joshua-feinberg

Holding onto the original memory to swap-in if a warranty repair is needed (or just for troubleshooting) is a GREAT idea.

Besides, when you're replacing lower capacity modules with higher capacity modules, the lower capacity modules USUALLY don't have that much resale value used.

Think of holding onto the lower capacity modules like an insurance policy (kind of like holding onto old software CD's in case you need to reload).