Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Hi everyone.

Since iOS 9, there has been that well known read receipt glitch where messages will show up as “Read” by the recipient, but then magically change back to delivered (usually after closing out of the messages app and opening it up again)

Now, I notice this:

If I send a message to someone and they read it, I notice it changes to “Read” status like it should...I see they’re typing a response, so I know they currently have the message open on their iOS device...I then send them another message while waiting for their response that they're still typing...but that message will just say "Delivered", even though I know they read it...I know this because they will react and respond to the subsequent message I sent (the one that only got marked as "Delivered")

It’s hard to explain, but here is a screenshot. (Conversation is pretty candid, lol, but it does illustrate the problem)

Let me know if I can clarify. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this behavior.

Attachments

• 3B0A22B6-0051-4054-9EA5-389617E1A4BE.jpeg
    3B0A22B6-0051-4054-9EA5-389617E1A4BE.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 6,294
Last edited:
Reactions: Stretton895

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Meh. Never get that OCD about the status. Since I'm getting the replying bubbles, I know will get some reply.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Meh. Never get that OCD about the status. Since I'm getting the replying bubbles, I know will get some reply.

Oh I understand. I’m just curious if anyone has seen this issue before that’s all. Are you saying you’ve seen this behavior, or are you saying you never pay that close attention ?

Stretton895

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
Still happening with iOS 12. Incredibly annoying. Anyone else notice this behavior?

Yes I just updated yesterday & it’s happening to me. The read receipt is also not showing up at the time they read it, it’s odd eventually it shows up an hour or so later saying that it was read ages ago

Reactions: eric3312

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Yes I just updated yesterday & it’s happening to me. The read receipt is also not showing up at the time they read it, it’s odd eventually it shows up an hour or so later saying that it was read ages ago
I don’t know why it annoys me so much. There are probably worse bugs but read receipts are what I love about iMessage in iOS.

Agua Agua

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2020
Eric, yes I’ve had the same glitch (which started about 2 years ago). It’s as if the “read receipt” doesn’t refresh for the most recent text (because it successfully shows up for the 2nd to most recent). Extremely stupid glitch because it seems like it would be an easy bug to fix. Whoever said that they’re not “ocd” about receipts is missing the point: when trying to coordinate last-minute change in plans or *anything* that’s time sensitive, then the receipt let’s the author know that the recipient got the message & it’s not necessary to try to contact them again. (Unless the non-“ocd” person has no friends with whom to coordinate plans ? ?)

Oh I understand. I’m just curious if anyone has seen this issue before that’s all. Are you saying you’ve seen this behavior, or are you saying you never pay that close attention ?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I noticed this happening over the last few days. I just imagine it's an overloaded server falling behind on read receipt requests or something. It doesn't happen consistently. It happened several times for me yesterday - I only notice it on Mac OS, my iPhone and iPad seem to keep up.

But yeah, up until a few days ago, this has been a really solid process - it's a little disconcerting to see it having ... issues. I like my stuff to stay working.

trinionn

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2021
Guys it’s not a glitch, i’m not sure if someone commented this already but all it means is that, the person that received the messages, answered the first message from their lock screen .. or specifically pressed it in the notification center. Doing so lets you do a quick reply without opening the full conversation so until they press the second message or open the full conversation, the second message displays as delivered because technically it was never pressed on or opened fully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.