New redesigned site!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SchneiderMan, May 10, 2010.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I finally switched out of iWeb and built a "real" website. What do you all think? http://Gadgetmac.com

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I love you? I...love you. I love you!!

XD

It's very clean! Clean is brilliant! I can't stand Apple's site because it's erm...a calamity.

Very clean, very smooth and very attractive!

Scrolling is a little sticky, is it really large or something?

Love it!

3. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Nice. Did you use a specific software to code it? Which one?

I guess the scrolling is sticky because of the background: it scrolls better once its done downloading it.

cheers!

4. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Thanks!!! Hehehe :)
    I used Squarespace to host and build the site. They are simply amazing! You have 24/7 support and they must answer you within 30 minutes. It's not outsourced too.

The background is static. You must let everything finish loading and it will be butter smooth :D
    I had to use some custom CSS yes. Everything is cloud based so you edit and do everything on their platform.
    Check them out http://Squarespace.com

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Could do without the ads on the right side...why do you have them?

6. 7031 macrumors 6502

To make money?

7. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

They are sponsors and they help me run the site :)

8. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Looks really good. I like it a lot. The only down side was that background took a sec to load.

9. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yeah I'm sorry about that. I'm having a really hard time making a high quality background that will load super fast. Anyway if you visit again it will load much quicker. Thanks!

10. RobBookPro macrumors regular

I love the look of your site, however it is just not practical.

You need to get rid of that background image. It is way to big and brings the entire site down. Remember, not everyone is sitting on a 20mbit connection.

Also, at my screen resolution on the 27" imac, the background image is not large enough to fill the width of the screen.

One tip on improving the background, make the fine lines a smaller (much smaller, think 50x50px) repeating image. You can still have it fixed in place. Then make the text you have on top a layer on top of the repeating background image. This will dramatically reduce load time as most of the data being is stored in the huge amount of 1 pixel wide line space.

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Nice design, but you need to check your punctuation (and some spelling).

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yikes! Your BG is 2MB! Even exporting that at 50% gets it down to a little over 500kb which you should do. Also consider making your bg a fixed 100%x100% background image like this site --> joshuaweigel [dot] com

13. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Thanks for the tip however I do not know how to use that with CSS code. Can you help by any chance?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Took more than a second.

Plus the cheese factor is pretty high.

It's not too late to find a different solution.

15. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I'm currently working on it and trying to make things faster and suitable for larger screen sizes. I really want to have the text design. It would have been much easier for me to just put some tile texture.. I still cannot see how I could insert two forms of backgrounds into the site. I tried some CSS but failed. :(

16. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Update: Alright I did the best I could do about the background and it now should load much quicker then before :) Thanks for everyone who pointed that out because my connection if pretty fast.

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Don't forget, you can style the html tag just like the body tag (i.e. put a background on the html and a different one on the body. then you can use background-position to position).

18. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Tried that and I get half scrolling and half fixed so it's a big mess. Of course I fixed both but they don't stick.
    I opened up a thread on Squarespace developer and coding forum too.

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well you have to position:fixed on the html tag too you silly.

But in your case, a tiling background in the back with just the texture on it and then a transparent png with just the words set to the background of the body would be fine.

Though what you have now works and that's all that is important

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Noooo, arent they more like ads you placed on your site because you thought they'd fit well or something? They didn't actually come to you as sponsors...

I fail to ever see the point of small time bloglike sites needing, let alone wanting, ads on their site.

If you need to make money to run your site because of high bandwidth usage, then by all means you need ads. But is that really the case here? You even have DONATE as a top level menu choice.

EDIT: oh, I see you are using a service to do this website for you or something? Costs you $96 a year just for that? ouch.

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Adding ads at a later date can have a big negative effect. Best to have them in from the start whether you make money from them or not.

22. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Oh great so you're replacing Jessica I see.. Click on the Colcasac banner and see that the URL has a Gadgetmac at the end.. And it costs me $168.
    http://www.squarespace.com/pricing I don't have Google ads. Those are sponsors that have been with me for almost a year now.
    Small time? :rolleyes: Well if big companies are supporting Gadgetmac then I don't think it's small. Why bother trolling my thread?

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

You asked for critique, i gave one.

I find the ads distracting and pointless.

And as a web user who would value your website, I find it almost rude of you to ask a random surfer to "pay" for just viewing your site. Obviously, people are free to not click, but having them there "says something about the person running the site".

Obviously this is a touchy subject or you wouldnt have such a canned response to retort with.

You are overpaying for some web service...I dont know what you get for that $168, but its not showing thru your site.

So, do what you want, its your site. I just think its not only bland for the subject matter, but...too...whatever the word is for "another blog".

EDIT: noticed the "donate" button has now moved to strictly within your contact page...so I guess you did find some value in my opinion after all...or was it guilt?

DOUBLE EDIT: if someone is an ****** because they have an opinion, when asked for it even, then I think everyone on this entire forum is *.

I knew I'd seen this same tired thing before:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=804422

You had the same argument back then, and nothing has changed.

24. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto