New Refurb 2.8 Octo but with failed HD bays

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Menphis, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Menphis macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I have just got a refurbished 2.8 Octo from Apple.

I was glad at the first minute as it comes with an expected 16M-cache 500G HD (instead of 8M-cache 320G), as well as airport extreme card installed without additional charge.

But at the same time I find out that both hard drive bays 3 and 4 are not working when I connect another three 3rd-party HDs to the machine internally. While at the same time, the original HD in bay 1 and bay 2 (which is hosting one of the three 3rd-party HDs) are working properly.

Is there anything I have ignored and I should perform now to enable bay 3 and 4. Or, should I call Apple now to claim a DOA and request a replacement?

Thank you all very much in advance. PS: all these hard drives are working well if plugged into either bay 1 or 2.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Sorry to say, but I would say you need to contact Apple. All 4 bays are normally fully operational at the time of shipment so it does appear there is a problem with yours. :(

The day I got mine, I started it up to make sure everything was OK, then powered it down and proceeded to put in three more drives and 8Gb more memory and all has been fine.

3. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

sounds like its a DOA. problem is you msay find they dont have another 08 octo to swap. i had a similar problem with no spare machines left

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

It may be something simple, such as the iPass (MiniSAS) cable that runs from the logic board to each of the drive bays. (aka Fan Out Cable).

Apple can always choose to repair it, and may have to, as the '08 stock may be low.

Good luck. :)