New refurb 2012. Need monitor recommendations.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by alanmalk, Jan 12, 2015.

1. alanmalk macrumors newbie

Just received my new refurbished 2012 I7 quad but it is not compatible with my antique VGA monitor. (No surprise there, my last Mac purchase was a 2008 machine.)

If you are pleased with your monitor could you post a few words about it?

I don't have high requirements. Primary concern is eye-strain as I'll be using it many hours per day. No games, no color matching, no bad reflections to deal with.

Secondary concern is $$. My target max is $250. I'm thinking 22" to 24" is about the right size for my desk.

(FYI, for work, I use dual monitors for the 10 or so windows I need up most of the time. My home use is not nearly so demanding.)

Thanks!
    Alan

2. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

Maybe consider secondhand? Having waited and waited for Apple to update their Thunderbolt Display (ha ha ha), I decided to go secondhand as an interim measure, which I may well now end up using for a good few years.

I got a Dell Ultra-sharp 30". I think it's the 2011 model, and it cost about $300, which was a bargain. I am extremely impressed with the build quality and image quality. There are plenty of reviews if you want to look it up. It is higher resolution than the TBD and, I suspect, rather better. I always equated Dell with budget stuff, but their ultra-sharp monitors are most definitely not.

I guess what I'm saying is, consider using your budget to go second hand and receive something far better than you would get new. I was, and remain, very pleasantly surprised with my purchase.

3. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Dell U2412M - 16/10 monitor works well - Inexpensive at 249.00

4. kaibob macrumors regular