New (refurb) iMac arrives this week!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fhall1, Jun 18, 2009.

1. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

I've had the Mini (in my sig) for almost 2 years now and knew I wanted something with a little more ooomph. Spent the last 3 months (since the release of the new Mini's and other desktops) trying to decide if a new mini was enough, or do I want an iMac (I already have a 24" monitor hooked to the Mini) or a low end Pro.

In the end I decided even a tricked out new Mini (4G RAM, 500G 7200RPM HD) just wasn't "future proof" enough with a 2.0GHz CPU, 4G RAM limit, and integrated graphics....but the approx $700 price (refurb w/upgrades) was a major plus.

The low end Pro (refurb) was just too much $$$ to justify a single processor, 4 memory slot box...I'd thought about building a hackintosh for less, but didn't want to spend my off hours searching for drivers and crossing my fingers after each software update

So I settled on a 2.93GHz, 4G RAM, 640G HD 24" iMac w/GT120 graphics...it was more $$$ than the one with 9400M graphics, and I did already have a 24" monitor, but I figured with an almost 3GHz CPU, an 8G RAM ceiling, and discrete graphics, it should last a few years. Already ordered a mini diplay port to DVI adapter to hook up the second 24" monitor. Now I just have to cross my fingers that migration assistant will take everything off the old Mini via ethernet cable (I don't have a FW400 to 800 cable). Soon I'll find out if it was worth double the price of a refurb'd new gen Mini.

2. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

You hardly "settled" as you put it that is a great machine you just bought yourself mate and should provide you enjoyment for years to come. I bet the excitement of delivery is killing you but isn't it fun? Cheers!

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Very sound reasoning, and a wonderful choice.
    ALL my machines are Apple refurbs, and the refurb page is where I look FIRST, and I would NEVER hesitate to buy ANY Apple refurbs, ever.;)
    Congrats on YOUR purchase, enjoy your awesome machine!

4. fhall1 thread starter macrumors 68030

fhall1

It is! Hopefully FedEx is accurate with their estimate...if they are I know what I'll be doing this weekend!