New (refurb) Macbook Pro 2.2 Feb. 2011 - Couple Issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kitvan, Nov 2, 2011.

1. kitvan macrumors newbie

Hey all. After all the great advice I got on these forums, I went ahead and pickup up this machine:

Feb 2011
    Anti-Glare High Res
    2.2 Ghz CPU
    8 GB RAM
    Radeon 6750M GPU
    750Gb 54000 RPM

It came from the refurb factory with 10.7, but I wiped and reinstalled 10.6 to maintain my stable of compatible software.

After that, I migrated all my data/system stuff over from my old MBP 4,1 (2006) which only took about 3 hours and went smoothly.

Now everything is working well, except for a couple things...

1.) When I place something in the trash, either with the mouse or by using CMD+Delete, I get a burst of white noise out of the speakers. It was really startling at first, now just downright annoying. (I went into System/Library/Components/CorAudio.component/ShowPackageContents/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/finder and found two operational .aif files for the trash. Both work normally in iTunes.)

2.) Less importantly, my "About This Mac" screen looks a little funky. (screenshot attached)

I'm more concerned about the white noise/sound issue. Does anyone have any idea about what could be causing this??

Thanks in advance

KV

Attached Files:

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what do you mean by white noise and why is that more of a problem then your screen being all scrambled?

3. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Haha wowsors :D
    I'd take it back to Apple and have it checked out on.

I mean, if it's under warranty and it's free, I'd rather let them do it. People say I only ever use my brainpower when I'm desperate :rolleyes:

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Migration Assistant has yet to ever work properly for me.

Anytime I've used it, it's corrupted the graphics drivers on my machines. I'd suggest rolling back and just reinstalling everything from scratch.

It's not a pleasant option, but it's likely to be the only one that will prevent these sorts of things from occurring.

5. kitvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

@ iisforiphone
    By white noise I mean static...a loud hiss. It's more of a problem because I use the trashcan multiple times a day and the sound is quite loud, drowning out iTunes. I use "About This Mac" screen about once a month, so it's less important... Plus the visual distortion isn't blocking any important information.

@ Spadoinkles
    Yeah, that might be the way I go. Thx

@ NutsNGum
    This is my first time using Migration Assistant and I was told that these types of things might happen... I really don't wanna have to reinstall everything. I might try to troubleshoot the sound / video drivers if that's even possible...

6. kitvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone else experienced these problems? mainly the loud static burst from the speakers? :confused:

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

when i put something in the trash, it makes a noise, but it's not that loud.

8. kitvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So now I can't trigger the loud static sound like I could before. It doesn't happen when I use the trash anymore, but it did occur randomly last night.
    Still a mystery, it's like a loud static burst from the speakers. I'm afraid to use headphone until I get this figured out...

I have:
    1.) I repaired disk permissions

2.) Removed my old version of Tinker Tool

not sure what else to try... Does anyone know of a free repair program for 10.6?

Here's another example of the visual anomaly, this time in Chrome (attached). it looks kind of like a video card issue to me...but not sure. :confused: It sometimes happens when I mouseover the tabs, activating the "shaded" effect. (attached)

Attached Files:

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

like crumpled paper?

can you record the sound and post it?

10. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

I would take it back to Apple asap as that looks like it's a hardware issue. Maybe bad GPU?

11. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Whitenoise....that was a film...I'm pretty sure your laptop may be haunted. :p

12. Ant.honey macrumors regular

As others have said, send it back or take it in. Why bother trying to fix something that should work properly on a new computer?

13. kitvan thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a refurb, but yeah you're right.

I'm not going to record the sound and post it... just picture the static sound you get when there's static on the TV. You know, black and white snow. Just static, I don't know how else to describe it.

14. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I'm baffled by the fact that people don't know what white noise is.

I'm also baffled by your problem. Sorry. :-(