New (Refurb) Mid-2012 rMBP Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jasphair, Feb 20, 2015.

1. jasphair macrumors member

I picked up a mid-2012 rMBP from the Apple Refurbished store a couple weeks ago. I'd had good luck with refurbs previously, and didn't think I'd have any issues. As it turns out, the system I received was making a high pitch noise, which I incorrectly thought was a fan. I brought it in to the Genius Bar and upon closer inspection, they determined the logic board needed replacement (a capacitor was going). They've had the rMBP since Feb 13 and are still waiting for a replacement logic board to come in. Of course as we now know, there's likely a recall on that rMBP (as of today), and the replacement logic board Apple is waiting to receive may NOT include the corrections for this recall, thus requiring they keep the laptop even longer...

I'm awaiting a callback from Apple regarding a return (which was actually their idea). I'm now a few days past the 14 day return window, but we've only had the laptop in our possession for about half of that time.

What is your suggestion in this situation? Do we just wait it out, and let everything be covered under warranty repairs (replacement logic board, and now the recall), or should we return and maybe pick out a 2014 or newer refurb rMBP, if and when they're available? The other option is to return and wait a bit longer and pick up a new rMBP for about $1000 more than we paid for the refurb, but we thought the refurb would be perfect for our needs. Our stock warranty is good until Feb 2016, and we were planning on picking up AppleCare as well, for coverage until Feb 2018.

Thank you!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Don't assume that there actually are any corrections for this recall. Apple hasn't done so in the past.

3. jasphair thread starter macrumors member

In that case, would it be more advisable to return and go with a newer model rMBP (e.g. 2014), or give up using a dedicated GPU altogether (in case newer rMBP's with dGPU's will have eventual issues as well?) The 650M isn't a requirement for us, but we picked that over an Intel Iris GPU for about the same price (again, in the refurb store). It made sense (to me) that we take the better GPU. Unfortunately, I was completely unaware of issues folks have been having over the years...

4. chrfr macrumors 603

The newer ones run a lot cooler, and will have better battery life if you stay with the Iris GPU and most users won't see any advantage to the dGPU at all. Pretty much all of Apple's laptop reliability issues have been with GPUs so perhaps the Iris isn't such a bad idea.

5. jasphair thread starter macrumors member

So Apple just contacted me to let me know the replacement logic board they ordered and installed has also failed their in-house tests. BUT they're now offering to outright swap my 2012 15" rMBP (with NVIDIA 650M) for a brand new 2015 15" rMBP (with Intel Iris Pro graphics). All other specs (CPU, HDD, RAM, etc) are the same. Is this a good trade?

6. nirvanemesis macrumors member

The new model will have Haswell so it'll be more battery efficient and faster CPU wise. The Iris Pro isn't as fast as the 650M for gaming but it's no slouch either. I'd say it's definitely a good deal.

7. iliasp macrumors member

iliasp

Definitely a good deal (Haswell, 802.11ac, Thunderbolt 2, Faster SSD!)
    By the time the dGPU was not a great factor from the beginning you will not probably tell the difference with the Iris Pro, i would actually say that in the end its a better performer (battery wise mainly)

I have a mid 2012 with GT 650M and would trade without thinking about it!

8. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Wow nice upgrade.:D But the graphics card is 2 yrs old.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If you play some good game or video editing, dGPU is a MUST! If not, it is a good deal anyway. :apple: