New refurb shows 94% battery health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whackintosh, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

94% is pretty good battery health. What is the cycle count? Your computer was likely a display model and includes it's original battery that was only used occasionally.

3. Snowbound macrumors regular

What's the cycle count? If it's under 20 or so, I wouldn't worry much. Over the lifetime of your computer it won't make a big difference. And if it gets down to less than 80% with less than 300 cycles and less than a year from when you bought it, apple may replace it.

4. hamish5178 macrumors member

Aren't refurbs supposed to come with new casings and batteries?

+1 to posting cycle count. If it's low, just calibrate the battery and it'll probably jump back to 99 or 100.

5. moonwalk macrumors member

I had a similar experience. Two weeks ago I bought a refurbished Macbook Pro 2.93, directly from Apple. I like the machine a lot. It's stupid fast, and has an xpresscard slot. Out of the box the machine looked and smells like new. Coconut Battery said it was built just 3 weeks earlier. I was surprised then to see that Coconut Battery and System Profiler each said that the battery came with 28 cycles on it!

After several calibrations, the battery would hold only 97 to 98 percent of its full capacity, with only about 4500 to 4512 mAH out of 4600 mAH. I took it to the Apple Store where I was told the battery was within spec. Aren't refrubs supposed to be good as new? I asked. Yes, I was told. Then why does the battery have 28 cycles on it? Maybe, I'm thinking, the battery is the only refurbed part. Anyway, the Apple Store guy didn't offer to switch out my battery. He did offer to take my machine for up to "48 hours of testing." The July 4 holiday was coming up and I didn't want to part with it. I got home and called Apple Care. The guy had me reset PMU, and told me to again calibrate the battery. Yes, he said, even a refurb battery shouldn't have 28 cycles on it out of the box...

I finally got fed up and re-called Applecare and said I wasn't happy and threatened to send the machine back. They agreed to send me a free new battery, in exchange for the old.

I wonder if the machine is new, and whether they stuck an old battery in it as part of the refurb process?

6. mrj412 macrumors regular

So, you bought a refurb that by definition is a prior used notebook that has been fixed and resold. I would expect that the battery would have a few cycles on it. If you wanted a system with a brand new never used battery, you should have bought a new notebook and not a refurb.

Why should Apple throw away or recycle a battery that only has 20 cycles on it? Sounds wasteful and ridiculous.

7. hamish5178 macrumors member

Reading Apples, site, with their definition of refurb'd goods, there is actually no mention of casings or batteries, hmm. . .

Still, being that a battery is a semi-"disposable" resource with a quantifiable degree of "used-ness" it seems crappy to get one that isn't brand new, even in a refurb.