New Releases of Tiger & Leopard still being planned?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kilowattradio, Jul 6, 2010.

?

Should Apple Continue to Support Leopard 10.5 for Power PC users?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2010.
  1. Yes. Long Live the Power PC.

20.0%
  2. No. It's a Intel world & PPC users need to get with the program.

80.0%
  1. kilowattradio macrumors regular

kilowattradio

I would like to know if Tiger and Leopard have now been orphaned as far as Apple is concerned. Thanks.
    :confused:

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yes they have, they're old versions of Mac OSX, they'll probably see security updates in line with Snow Leopard, but there won't be anymore performance/bug fixes for them, as there aren't any left for those builds.

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

All my support for PPC owners!

I loved Tiger and I still have a pair of old eMacs, one of them running Tiger. I haven't used PPCs for a while as I have 2 C2D MBPs and an Air, but recently I got my eMac out from the garage and for parts, I bought another on Ebay. I thought that I would give one decent eMac for my brother's young daughters. He's an architect and he doesn't like the girls using his computers as there is a potential that they make him to tear his hair out by deleting files, dropping the laptops or changing some settings.

The eMac I bought on Ebay is running Leopard and there is a noticeable difference in speed, compared to Tiger. In theory, you can run Leopard on many PPCs, but what's the point? I can imagine that the only PPC confidently running Leopard is a G5 Mac Pro.

By the way, both eMacs work as they should, apart from one of them having the fan almost constantly running (which is still better than my 13" MBP) and the other has a slightly sensitive optical drive.

So for me, the issue is having Tiger supported. Young people, who never had an old Mac would not believe, how well these old Macs can do basic tasks. Frankly, if I could, I'd be running Tiger on my unibodies and on the Air (especially on the Air).

So the next time I will have a few hours, I'll do a clear install of Tiger on both and I'll keep one of them. It will be a great computer for watching DVDs in the pool house and running my music collection.

But it's sad that with some basic maintenance, these computers could satisfy the computing needs of millions, yet because of the lack of security updates, you can't really trust them on the internet where all sorts of passwords and account details are involved.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They are still supporting Leopard. I just downloaded a Security Update a few days ago for 10.5.8.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, security updates for Leopard will continue for a while (until 10.7), but there will be no more 10.5.x updates.