iPhone New reminders VS things 3

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by rainbowloveslut, Jun 11, 2019.

1. rainbowloveslut macrumors newbie

I've been with Things for a while and love it but prefer to use a stock app like reminders. How do you guys like the new reminders app? is it likely to change more with some better tweaks by the time we get the official release in September?

Anyone else moving back to reminders from things?

RBLS

2. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

The guys on www.thesweetsetup.com said that it won't replace Things 3, I think it won't. Things 3 might seem simple and basic but it is actually a full fledged GTD app with like the best user interface in the world that make it so easy to use.

With Reminders you will have no tags, no Inbox, no Someday, no Areas of Responsibility, no setting to attach tags to Areas automatically, no repeat tasks inside projects and no integration with other apps like MindNode just to name few.

That being said, I would like it if Things add location based reminders and shared lists like Reminders.

3. stiwi macrumors regular

ToDo from Microsoft is finally getting official Mac app available already on App Store for free pre-order (to be released on 17th June). It supports attachments, shared lists...

4. nutmac macrumors 601

While Reminders lack few things, I think it strikes a better balance of simplicity and power for average users than Things 3.

While Flagged is not exactly tags, it could be sufficient for many users.

Things 3's Inbox is very convenient. But I think creating an Inbox list and dragging it to the top of My Lists is a suitable workaround.

5. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

Sure, but if you already use Things and use all of it’s features then why?

6. nutmac macrumors 601

While I generally like Things 3, there are few things on new Reminders that seem more promising (I haven't kicked all the tires yet so these are merely impressions):
    • As it has been in the past, I like the fact that Reminders data is exposed to third party apps. If I don't like Reminders app, I can use something else like Memento or GoodTask.
    • Location based reminder.
    • Shared list. I am flabbergasted as to why this is not a feature on Things 3.
    • For a premium priced app suite ($80 if you want all 3 macOS, iPhone, and iPad versions), Things 3 is missing many features, such as custom view and sequential tasks.
    • Speaking of price, Things seem to be on a 5-year update cycle, meaning Things 3 is in the mid-cycle (Things 4 is due in 2-3 years). I would love subscription pricing as an alternative option.

7. rcooked macrumors regular

I’m actually going to switch from Things to reminders when out, simply for the shared lists alone.

Does anyone know if reminders in ios13 will integrate with calendar?

8. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

When Things 4 comes around with another upgrade purchase PER device type, I feel like that’s when people should start switching.

Or if they go subscription-based.

9. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

It depends.

How much do you rely on Things? The next paid upgrade I won’t purchase the macOS app because I’m not using it in my MacBook anymore, but I’ll definitely use it on my iPhone, Apple Watch & iPad.

10. melancholy, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019

melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

Reminders beats Things for me. It’s as simple and clean as Things. More robust too.

By the way, some of what you said can be fixed in Reminders, these aren’t necessarily workarounds... some of Things’ lists aren’t entirely smart lists like Apple’s 4 smart lists.
    • You can make your own ‘Inbox’ list and attach it with its own glpyh, this is more customizable than Things
    • Make your own ‘Someday’ list
    • You can group lists in Reminders now; groups are your ‘Areas’, and lists are your ‘Projects’
    • Tasks can be repeated in Reminders
    Reminders is better than Things in some things, such as...
    • Reminders can show rich thumbnail previews of attached images, contacts, and webpages within the list; notes and alert times are displayed too
    • Reminders can be tied to apps via Siri and the share sheet
    • Reminders can alert you if you leave/arrive a location, or if you are getting in/out of your car
    • Reminders can alert you if you contact somebody
    • Reminders have customizable colors and glyphs
    • Subtasks on Things is just a simple checklist, in Reminders they have the same capabilities as regular tasks, meaning they can have previews, alerts, and other details; this means you can turn a regular task as a ‘Things Project’ and have that task repeat
    • Shareable lists
    • Better integration with the operating system, ecosystem, and Siri (Apple Watch, CarPlay, etc)
    • Things will likely charge you for an outrageous price per device type for Things 4, if that ever happens (hopefully it doesn’t turn subscription-based)
    • System-wide drag-and-drop is infinitely better than Things, you can group lists fast, you can turn tasks into subtasks fast, etc
    • Reminders may not have tags, but you can always add #tag and look for them via search. Although you can flag items and prioritize items too by 3 levels.
    • Reminders have natural language when you write a task
    • Reminders have deeper ties with the Shortcuts app with automations too

11. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Quick question about Things that has kept me from using it in the past. Most of my items are recurring events. As far as I can tell I need to create an item and then go back into it to set the recurring part of it. I can't just do that when creating the item? Seems clunky to me.

12. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

Seems that way.

You create the task, back out, select the item by side-swiping it, tap ‘...’, then select repeat.

13. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

I’ve been using Things since v3 and love it. There are somethings I miss from reminders (melancholy has a great list). iOS 13 reminders is looking really nice and I will definitely try it out when it’s released.

What I like about Things is the project overview you get, headings, instant search so you can quickly jump to any list, project, tag, heading etc. Full control of the whole app with a keyboard (this is a must for me after using things on Mac and iPad). Things has great url scheme support so automations have been really good with the shortcuts app, with iOS 13 this will be even better. It’s also a beautiful app

What I miss the most with the reminders app is Siri. Being able to quickly add things on the go is a great option. Sure you can enable reminder import to Things but you have go to the inbox and manually import them so it’s not automatic.

I wish Things just removes their account system and do what goodtask does and just pull all reminders data so Siri would feel native. If I remember correctly the reason why they have their own cloud is because it’s really fast and that’s one thing reminders is lacking. Sometimes it takes a while for items to sync between devices. It’s a lot better today though.

14. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

What I don’t like about the Reminders app is the rounded font, I prefer Things’ bolded headers. Looks more professional.

One thing I forgot to add that Things has something that Reminders doesn’t, that is the ability to add notes to projects, and also dividing projects into separate lists via headings (which I actually used a lot).

But how subtasks work in Reminders, I’ll just replace headings with subtasks.