New Remote Is In! (With Pics)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by zedsdead, Nov 2, 2009.

1. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I have to say it is pretty cool. Much better shape now that it is longer, and the aluminum makes it much studier unlike the cheap plastic model (which had to have the highest markup of any Apple product).

The only thing I wish they added was a click wheel to the top so that way it could be used to always control the volume output of the Apple TV. I would like it to scroll, but the Apple TV cannot currently keep up with that kind of scrolling speed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Too bad they didn't make it a bottle opener too.

3. flanamac macrumors 6502

...comes with refurbished ATV?

I just received from Apple my refurbished ATV which will likely have 3.0 on it, but I am wondering whether it will have new remote like this one. We'll see tonight.

4. rotarypower101 macrumors regular

rotarypower101

So is there a center button anymore?
    And if so what is it's functionality?

5. digitalmac macrumors member

digitalmac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I also received mine today. It looks amazingly nice with the similar finishing like the unibody MacBook Pro. Received at work today and yet to try out at home tonight.

6. zedsdead thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes. The center button still functions as the play/pause button.

The play/pause button also functions as the play/pause button, but it cannot shut down the Apple TV like the center button can (holding it down on the main menu) or bring up the chapter menu. Basically it only is a play/pause button while the center button is more of a "selection button."

7. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Does it still stick to the side of an iMac via magnet?

8. zedsdead thread starter macrumors 68040

The aluminum iMac's do not have the magnets, but I can't comment on the white models because I do not own one.

9. digitalmac macrumors member

digitalmac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Re rotarypower101, the center button is a "Select" button. Same as the one in the previous remote.

10. rekhyt macrumors 65816

11. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Moo!

I want one of these for my Apple TV as I find the little plastic remote a bit too small but the Apple Store in Birmingham, UK don't have them yet and are not sure when they are to arrive and www.apple.com/ukstore say 1-2 weeks shipping. GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

pac

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Someone was complaining in the Apple discussion boards about it not being able to stick to the white iMac. So, probably not.

13. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Anyone know if the remotes are available in stores yet? I need to pick up two of them.

14. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Hurrah!

I checked online earlier to see if the eta had changed from 1-2 weeks on the UK Apple Store website and it said 3-4 business days, so I rang up the Apple Store in the Bull Ring to confirm they had them in stock. They did - so I jumped on the bus to town and picked one up.

Here it is! Can't wait to have a play with it at home

pac

Attached Files:

15. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

i have to worry about the lifes of some of the poeple on this forum sometimes....

ITS A REMOTE!!!!!!!!!!!
    :rolleyes:

16. Fuchal macrumors 68020

They still look weird and unnecessarily large to me.

17. kroeks macrumors regular

i ordered one with my i5 too.
    That way i can skip songs i don't like while watching out the window with coffee in one hand and the remote in the other

18. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Yeah yeah yeah! Its affordable Apple - thats what I like about it :D:D

Someone said about it seeming unusually large - after holding it for a few minutes, it fits nicely in the hand and feels more in proportion than the one its replacing

pac