New remote iTunes sharing with MobileMe and Back to my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skopcho, Sep 10, 2009.

1. skopcho macrumors newbie

I was looking over the new iTunes features page and saw these two items that appear to be a possibly great new feature. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working yet, or at least I can't get it to work. If they are going to allow streaming iTunes over the internet to a remote computer, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement this on the iPhone and iPod Touch, which would be a killer feature.

Shared
    Look under Shared to see music, video, podcasts, audiobooks, and other media in the iTunes libraries of computers on your local network. With Home Sharing enabled, you can import movies, music, TV shows, apps, and more from up to five authorized computers in your home. Enable Back to My Mac, and you can play media from your iTunes library at home using any Mac, anywhere. The library of your remote Mac also appears under Shared.​

and

Back to My Mac
    With Back to My Mac, you can access your iTunes library wherever you are. On your Mac at home, turn on sharing in iTunes preferences and enable Back to My Mac in System Preferences. Then, on any Mac, sign in to MobileMe. Your library will appear in iTunes under Shared, and you can play your music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and more.​

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The big stipulation in anywhere is that you must not only have internet connectivity but reliable bandwidth for the media you wish to share.

3. skopcho thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly don't really care about sharing video, but 3G networks can easily handle streaming audio as evidenced by all the popular streaming audio apps in the app store. It seems like a pretty big deal if you can access/stream your entire library of music anywhere you have an internet connection (3G or WiFi).

It's what Simplify Music does, but if it's built in, it would easier and probably a better implementation.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yeah I have Simplify and used it briefly when it came out. But honestly I just sync what I want to my iPhone and listen to it. When I want different stuff. I change my sync. 3G isn't reliable enough to stream music for long periods of time nor while driving and the bandwidth resources and battery drain just don't seem worth it.

5. theaidan macrumors newbie

There is no longer any mention of Back to my Mac on that page. Looks like they pulled it, which explains why no one explained it at the Event, especially since it's an awesome feature if it works.