New Remote swipes wrong?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by WordSands, Sep 15, 2015.

1. WordSands macrumors newbie

So i've noticed this during the demo last week and couldn't find anything in the Forum about it:
    Whenever swiping left/right and browsing through whatever they were showing, if you looked at their thumbs you could see that they were swiping right in order for the Content to slide left (e.g.: exactly the opposite of iOS / OSX behaviour, where you swipe up to scroll down). You know what i mean? Seems really weird they would make the remote of the new aTV the only Hardware you have to swipe differently...
    Anyone else notice this as well or has some clarification?
    Cheers!

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Sounds like you're probably moving a cursor rather than the content itself, since you can't tap a television screen to select things.

3. Wunderwally macrumors member

Wunderwally

Yes, i also noticed this but i'm pretty sure it feels more "natural" this way, because you're not touching the content itself, like on the iPhone or iPad, and f.e. pushing the content up to scroll down, but rather navigate through the content.

4. WordSands thread starter macrumors newbie

But i can't touch the Safari page on my macbook either while still 'pushing' the Content up on my trackpad while Scrolling down... It just completely throws me off. As I would intuitively try to swipe the Content in the same way as i would on my trackpad. I thought Apple introduced this to their Macbooks and Macs in order to have the same feel across all devices. Just seems weird, is all. Kind of like using a PC mouse after sitting at your Magic Mouse all day... suddenly have to scroll the other way like some Kind of savage ;)

5. Wunderwally macrumors member

Wunderwally

I just tried it with a few apps using the iPhone to control my tv and in my opinion the big difference here is the distance between me and the device. Using a Macbook your distance to the device is pretty small and you're closer to the content itself. With a tv the distance between you and the content is much larger and for me it feels "better" to navigate through the content rather than controlling the content itself.

Anyway we just have to wait how it "feels" and maybe apple is adding an option to change the scroll behavior like on macs to make everyone happy:)

6. WordSands thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what i'm hoping for. Might feel different for everyone so getting an Option to change that would be nice. Here's to hoping!
    I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned in any of the 'Hands on' Videos after the keynote as it was just so prominent for me. But well... might just be me ;)

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Hopefully for you it is a setting that you can change, even on the computer it is different for everyone, when Apple switched it up to school up to go down I tried it for a few days and couldn't get used to it so I switched back as scrolling down to go down seemed much more natural to me. So personally I'm glad that they do it that way, but I wouldn't want to force people to use it the way I like if that's not their preference so hopefully it's and option in settings.

8. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

9. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

You are moving the selector as opposed to the analog of dragging the display. This works just like the current apple tv remote and remote app.