New replacement battery low capacity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bearington, Sep 26, 2018.

1. bearington macrumors member

bearington

I recently bought an OEM battery for my MacBook Air 11", and the battery arrived with 1 charge cycle and battery health status of over 97%. 3 charge cycles later, the battery health is showing as 90.1% - does this sound right, or do I have a defective battery? Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

The battery is 2 years old. This tells me that it’s been siting on a shelf collecting dust , while naturally degrading on the inside.

Send it back.

3. bearington thread starter macrumors member

bearington

Thank you :) I'll be sending this one back.

4. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

I think that there is a way these resellers are resetting the cycle count. I have seen many used MB's that are worn with OEM battery that shows very low cycle counts.

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Honestly, for a battery as large as a laptop battery, I'd bite the bullet and pay for a real Apple battery. I wouldn't want to mess with the 3rd party battery lottery. I wouldn't trust anyone selling me an "OEM" battery except Apple. Too many Amazon vendors claim they have OEM batteries. Don't believe any of them.

6. VantaNoir macrumors member

VantaNoir

I agree. Only genuine Apple batteries, better peace of mind, will save you a headache in the long run. I am currently on a mid 2012 Air and changed the battery a few months ago, runs like it's brand new.

7. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

I have had good luck with used OEM batteries on Ebay. I makes sure the seller has a stellar reputation and has sold many batteries. You can get low cycle count batts for not much money if you don't mind a 90% health or so-which is still better than third party gamble IMO.

8. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Try iFixit store. They sell quality batteries.

9. Vlad.E. Suspended

Vlad.E.

What he said.