New replacement HD doesn't have a place for thermal sensor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brainwave89, May 27, 2012.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

I just replaced my hard drive on my 2009 27" iMac. The new replacement HD doesn't have a place for the thermal sensor. Hence, the fan is on all the time and makes a noise I would enjoy silencing. Is there a way to do silence the fan?

Thank you for looking.

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Apple really screwed us on this one. I have the same computer and had the same problem. Went to Best Buy and bought the exact same HD that was factory installed for about $80. Took me about 20 minutes to make the change out. Everything worked perfect except for the fans running full blast. You need a specially blessed Apple version of the HD to prevent the problem. I had read where others were able to order an external temp sensor and tape it to the outside of the HD to get it to work properly. But I didn't want to risk ruining my machine by having the fans not work properly. So I took it into an Apple store where they happily charged me $360 for a new HD. :(

3. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

dangerfish hit the nail on the head. These drives are proprietary, Apple only. I believe there were some third party "knock-offs" for the '09/'10 machines, don't know if they are still available, but never heard good things. The '11s integrate the fan sensor into the drive controller... :eek:

4. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both for you help.

Is there any third-party apps that would help me control the fan or should I just get used to the noise?

Many thanks.

5. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? When I bought one there was grove that fit the sensor just fine. I just to use a little bit of saliva to get it to stick while I put the screen back on:cool:.

6. Offspring992, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

Offspring992 macrumors member

I bought an optical temperature sensor (part 922-9214) when I replaced my HD with a Crucial M4 SSD on my late 2009 21.5". One end plugs in to where the temp sensor normally is, and you just stick the other end on the HD (or in my case, SSD). I haven't had a single problem with the fans yet.

7. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Seriously do people not google?

Use smcfancontrol or SSd fan control.

8. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

The best solution to keep fan at factory speed and to pass the hardware test is to short the circuit of temperature sensor.Just cut the wires twist them and tape them.

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

Or, just use a little piece of wire to short them. Then you don't need to cut up your iMac. I used a twisty-tie wire as I recall.

10. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

That doesn't work when its relating to the temp sensor. When its not connected the fans run at max speed. Shorting the wiring stops this.

11. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

?????

Both programs let you set a fan speed toad anything in the fans range. Period.

12. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

When your macbook is running at a high temp and the fans are running at say 6000rpm try and set them lower and see if it lets you... it doesn't.

The iMac fans spin at top RPM when that sensor is not connected thus when using SCMfancontrol etc you can't reduce that RPM down. Unless there has been an update that I am un aware of.

13. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Correct. You are wrong. Both programs override. If your comp gets too hot, it will shut down.

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Who is correct and who is wrong then? :confused:

15. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

He is correct in stating that he might be wrong. Which is to say, he is wrong.

16. ancelrick macrumors member

ancelrick

17. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

you don't cut up any mac just the wire

----------

BE CAREFULL this only if you are replace with SSD that don't have temperature overheating problems.If you replace with another HDD order from apple components.com the optical drive sensor and tape it the center black metal part of the drive.

18. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

This is not true, I have just updated scmfancontrol to the latest version and it will not let you turn the RPM down if the sensor believes it is hot. So my macbook shows 85C and is running at 5300RPM and it won't let me turn the RPM down it ignores it.

Its the same with the iMac judging on other threads, when the sensor is not connected to anything it automatically sets the fan RPMs to maximum to stop any damage hence why using SCMfancontrol to turn the RPM down doesnt work thus why everyone is saying to short the wire rather than using software.

19. buywisdom macrumors member

I had a similar issue when I upgraded my 2010 iMac. I use HDD Fan Control and I have not had an issue since.

20. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Your MacBook is outdated and irrelevant to this conversation. It works on iMacs and has for everyone since day one. Hence, why I use both programs.

21. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Others have stated it doesn't work and thats why they are resorting to using the shorting idea. I still can't do this even on my 2012 macbook air using SCMfancontrol... you just assume i only use whats in my sig... I also own an iMac and it doesn't let me turn down the RPM when the temp is high and the rpm are high. Again with SCMfancontrol.

Edit: Oh and my iMac is the latest model, its not out dated or irrelevant if you are wanting to go down that route again.

22. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

If the SOFTware works for some like me, then the pebkac ...