New Replacement iPhone 4 Running Wicked Hot...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Statusnone88, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

So I went down to the Apple store today to pick up my new iPad and have my launch day (week 25 phone) iPhone 4 replaced for various reasons.

I live an hour and a half away from my Apple store, so since I had no music on my phone I decided to do a quick Pandora download and listen to that for my drive home. In fear of scratching it, I had wrapped my Oakley's case around it while it sat in my front seat (in the shade) playing Pandora. The phone wasn't charging, but it was playing music while sitting in that case. I live in Central Florida so the A/C was blasting so the temp in the car was chilly, but when I got home I noticed the phone was wicked hot. My other phone never even got close to being this hot, not even during heavy usage. It's been in my apartment for about 45 minutes now in the A/C, connected to my iMac for restore but it still will NOT cool down.

Anyone else having this issue with the phone? Like I said, my other one never had this problem with getting so hot. And if you have had this issue, did it fix itself or is it another thing I need to get replaced? Thanks in advance.

2. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

It sounds odd and I would wait and see. If the problem continues, just take it back to Apple and get another one.

What model and week is this phone?

3. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

New one is 86027 and the older one was 85025. As far as I can tell the proximity sensor issue is non existent for me on this one but it's too early to really tell.

And yeah Im going to charge it up to 100% then let it sit for a while, while I play with the new iPad. If it's still as hot as it is in a couple hours I'll have to take ANOTHER one back.

4. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Why don't you get an advanced replacement from applecare?

I got one the other day from them and the phone works like a charm and it is 86028

5. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I really would prefer not to have 700 dollars on hold for a week or more while they wait to receive my older phone. I really would love to do the Applecare thing but again, not really down for 700 bucks on the "freeze."

6. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Where you shipping your phone from? Mars? It takes 2 days for apple to receive your phone, and it takes 2 days for you to get the new one. The total time the hold is on your CC is ~4 days. TOPS 5.

Just did this couple weeks ago with my 3G.

7. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Never had to do this before, so I didn't realize that Apple was kind enough to include the 2 day FedEx BACK to them. So yeah if this one ends up with problems I will definitely wind up doing that instead.

8. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Um, not true. They shipped on the 19, received 20th, sent back the 20th, received by apple 21st. hold off.

9. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Yeah, I didn't realize the process was this quick. That's definately a better option for me. Saves me 40 bucks in gas and 10 bucks in tolls.

(Update: it's cooling off a bit, the back is still a bit too warm. Going to crank the A/C up a bit and see how it holds up.)

10. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

What apps do you have running in the background? Have you tried closing them? OS version? Is it 4.0.1?

11. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

None right now, I killed them all to see if that was making it worse. And yes I JUST updated to 4.0.1. It seems to be cooling down now, even while charging. But we'll see what happens when I stress test it.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You have to take into account that the entire phone is basically metal and glass, two materials that tend to hold onto heat pretty well. Compared to the 3G/3GS, I even noticed a big difference. Now if it's so hot that you can't even hold it without burning yourself, that's another matter.

13. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

I had an iphone 4 that overheated to the point where the battery was apparently damaged and would no longer hold a charge. When you get the phone off the charger, turn on battery percentage and monitor how fast the charge drops

14. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Nah, it's not THAT bad. I mean, when I got it home it was a little uncomfortable to hold for a longer period of time, but that's it.

The only reason why I was concerned was because the original one I had never got anywhere close to "hot."

15. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

When a piece of electronics seems to be overheating, the first thing you should do is turn it OFF. Let it cool and power it back on. Your problem will probably go away after that.