Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zOlid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
So I have a short question.
I had to replace my rMBP because the one I had was faulty. The new one is the exact same model.
So the question is: can I make a COMPLETE restore from the the time-machine backup I had on my previous rMBP? Or do I have to use migration assistant?
They are exactly the same, so it should be ok, right? Or will I get problems because they have different "MAC addresses" or something like that?

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Plug it in, setup will ask if you want to restore, you should* be able to restore absolutely everything.

I've just done it from an old iMac to a new iMac (not using TM but the same app, Migration Assistant) and only a very few things didn't transfer successfully / transparently.

Dropbox evidently noticed I was using a new computer, so I had to login on that again, and PhotoShop Elements seems to be broken. Other than that everything seems to be OK.

If you google you'll find some youtubes showing the process.

* I actually had a glitch with my TM backup so it didn't work for apps, so I did Migration Assistant direct from my old Mac instead but I think I was just unlucky

zOlid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I tried using TM full restore, but it seems not to have worked so good. It seems to think its a 13" mbp.
Had some problems with fonts in steam. Can't read any text in steam.
Haven't tried much more, but I'm just gonna reinstall it and use MA instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.