New reset options in IOS7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by vexorg, Oct 13, 2013.

1. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Can someone clarify what the new reset options do in IOS7?

Reset all settings?
    Erase all content and settings?
    Reset network settings?
    (keyboard is obvious)
    (homescreen is obvious - i hope)
    Reset location and privacy?

I was advised to do reset all setting to fix a sound problem, but I'd really like to know exactly what these options will do before I select any of them.

2. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Erase All contents and settings will wipe your device clean and restore it to factory settings (just like the day you got it brand new)

3. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

They do same as on iOS6

4. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, then humour me and lets say I didn't know what they done in IOS6 also. I want to know what is reset.

Where does the new authentication for appleid and password come into it?

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

if you select erase all content, you will be prompted to log out of icloud/find my iphone first. it wont allow you to wipe the phone without doing that.

6. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's one of the settings, and I had kind of guessed that one, it's the other reset setting than I'm more interested in.

Also, what happens to "erase all..." if you are not on iCloud, or have an appleid logged in on the phone?

Not too keen on the try and see what happens approach.

7. Rohirm macrumors member

Reset All Settings: This resets all of your device’s settings, but keeps all of your media, files, etc.

Reset Network Settings: This will reset all network settings including:
    • previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
    • recently used Bluetooth accessories
    • VPN and APN settings

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

it wil do exactly what it says it will do, except wont ask you to turn off icloud/find my iphone since it isnt logged in to begin with. kinda self explanatory.

9. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere, rather than "etc"

----------

With modern devices nothing is self explanatory!

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

erase all content and settings does JUST THAT. it wipes the phone clean, as if it were just removed from a new box and deletes everything on there and reverts ALL settings back to stock. reset all settings leaves all your pics, music data (aka media) but resets all device settings back to original. these include notifications and system settings.

11. FlatlinerG, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Reset all settings does just that, resets all settings back to default. Example, if you turned Bluetooth off and changed around a bunch of notification centre settings, they would retun to their original state.

Erase all content and settings one ups the above by erasing the entire device. This will put it back through the initial setup assistant and everything. No content will remain on the device afterwords.

Reset network settings erases all saved network configurations such as wifi networks and passwords, VPN settings, and APN settings.

Keyboard and home screen are obvious yes.

Reset location and privacy resets all saved information about frequent locations and privacy. Apps will ask you if they can access your private information again after doing this reset option.

If someone told you to do just a "reset" you can do this by holding down the sleep/wake button and home buttons simultaneously. This forces the device to shutdown. Keep note that it should only really be used if the device is frozen or otherwise unresponsive. It's always better to properly shutdown if you can instead by holding just the sleep/wake button and sliding to power off.

Also, a great place to read up on stuff like this is in safari on the device itself, if you go to your bookmarks you should see an "iPhone User Guide". Top left corner has three lines with what look like bullet points. This will give you a good visual breakdown of the user guide. A search in the top right for reset brings the above info.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere