New retina 13" first impressions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atticus27, Mar 3, 2014.

1. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

I have a 09 15" pro with the old c2d in it and I needed something that would process HD video a lot faster (it takes forever to render out project in final cut x and is to laggy to edit while still importing huge files).

I decided to go w/ the $1500 13" model and thought if it doesn't run smooth I could return it and get the baseline 15". This i5 and ssd drive are fast as hell. Being able to edit while still importing is great (files importing quicker anyways, but I hated waiting around on the old one for it to finish)

This thing is great so far the new display insanely crisp and it handles every task I need it for pretty great. I like the added portability aspect of it too. The 15" is better if you don't ever hook it up to a external monitor at home, but this is easier to take to class. I was looking at the air at the apple store, but this one is barely thicker and the better gpu and cpu made it kind of no brainer to get this one. battery life is great too. The non upgradable internals is the only downside (for me) with it.

Also off topic, but I love the high resale value on mac's. I got $700 for my old one to drive the cost of this one down.

2. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Thats awesome man. I'm glad to see that you are enjoying your new mac. :)

3. atticus27 thread starter macrumors regular

atticus27

thanks. I'm shocked at how fast it is at video rendering. It'll import 10 gig files into final cut in under 2 minutes (and exports slightly slower). My old one would take 30 mins to import files and it would lag to much to edit while importing.

4. kathyricks macrumors 6502

That's good to know the next time someone asks about whether the 13" rMBP with 8 GB of Ram is up to the task of video editing in Final Cut.

5. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Yep. It's all relative. Sure a 15" would be even faster, but OP's new 13" is already 3X as fast as his old machine while being a lot more portable and having that killer screen and battery life.

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I'm glad you like your 13" rMBP, welcome to the club! :D