New "retina" display and same old crappy YouTube.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MassiveAttack, Jun 25, 2010.

1. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

With all the advancements on iPhone 4 we still have to view you tube low quality over 3G. My nexus one has an option on the YouTube app to view in HQ over 3G. I'm wondering why apple hasn't implemented this feature to take advantage of iPhone 4 "retina" display. It's pretty disappointing watching blurry low quality video on such a magnificent display.

2. graygmc macrumors newbie

Youtube is not even worth watching on an iPhone. Some other video sites have great quality though.

3. css1323 macrumors regular

What did you expect? It's AT&T's fault as well.

And YouTube videos in HD look amazing on the iPhone (while on Wifi of course). Just search "hd" and check out all the results. Very happy with it.

4. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

YouTube? The iPhone does youtube? Until I can watch full quality clips over a network, YouTube will remain buried on the last page of my homescreen. Pretty pitiful

5. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

what other alternatives are there?

6. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

Jailbreak when available and 3g unrestrictor.

7. Ogrillion macrumors member

Oh this whole time i am thinking man.. I thought youtube looked great (first iphone) .. but I only really watched it through Wifi.. (2gig data cap, so still testing the waters with data usage haha)

8. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

9. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

i think the issue is the deal made between YouTube and Apple...

because there's no flash on the iOS, they had to create a downloadable mp4 video file for every youtube vid so that iOS devices can view it natively (which also led to the exploit of downloading youtube vids...) so they'd have to redo the whole process in order to allow HD and such

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The true reason why YouTube videos look bad on the iPhone over any cell network is that they are smaller and lower quality. Thus, less work for the cell towers to send. It is not Apple's fault. They are being forced into it by AT&T and probably other network providers as well.

11. css1323 macrumors regular

Give the app "Truveo Video" a shot. It lets you watch high quality videos over the network. You even get YouTube videos in the search results.

12. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8