New Retina - Fan Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aphex2000, Jul 30, 2014.

1. aphex2000 macrumors newbie

alright, so i just bought the new 15" rMBP i7 2.5 (the high-end default configuration) and installed all my usual stuff.

during that, whenever the cpu usage got over 100% the fan went into 120db starting jet mode! ok, slightly exaggerated but you get my point, it's very noticeable and significantly louder than my old 2010 MBP.

is this normal or did i get a lemon?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its a good thing that the fans ramped up,.

What you need to do is correlate the temperatures with the fan speed before determining if its defective.

Use an app like iStat Menus which can show both the temps and the fan speed. If your temps are in the high 80s or 90s then it makes sense for the fans to go full bore.

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

When you first get a Mac, the spotlight search engine has to index the hard disk. This can put pressure on the CPU and therefore increase heat and fan speed. Check to see if spotlight is still indexing by mousing over the spotlight icon in the top right. Also click on the battery indicator to see if a particular app is draining a lot of power.

4. aphex2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

well sure the mac is doing something, but the cpu is up to 90° celsius in no time!

if anyone else with the same configuration could let me know if they have similar temps that would be great.

5. BlueXIII macrumors newbie

I use a hard-disk intensive Bible-study software that indexes massive gigs of data when it is first installed. I just got my first MBP 11 days ago (the late 2013) and did the indexing while I was asleep, so I don't know what the fan was like. But I just exchanged it yesterday for the new Mid-2014 MBP and I was awake for the indexing this time, and the fan was super loud. Machine did feel a little warm.

I figured this was normal, and I haven't noticed it since then (havent used it much either, though).

If I notice my fan on during regular tasks unlike what it was on the late 2013, I'll post back here.

6. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

The 15" rMBP will hit 100 degrees on the CPU very easily. When you hit around 90 degrees it will start spinning the fan up. This is completely normal.

You will just have to live with the fact that the rMBP runs very hot. It's heatsink is very small.

7. GP20 macrumors member

I went through a few late 2013 rMBP 15's. As far as temperatures and fan speeds go, a couple of them definitely got really hot and the fans spun very loudly, while some (including the one I ended up keeping) stayed quite cool. Even running geekbench tests the fans never went above 2200 RPM's.

8. AbootCanada macrumors newbie

My fan didn't roar up like crazy, but when I was benchmarking using blackmagic disk speed test, I hear a hissing sound coming from the right side of the laptop when it is benchmarking the read speed. Can you see if you can reproduce this or do I have a faulty model.