New Retina iMac graphics performance

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kayan, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Kayan macrumors 6502

Now we know the specs of the iMac that many people on here thought wouldn't arrive until next year.

So, my question is for those with good graphics knowledge, given the new screen and now that we know the graphics cards, how do you think it will perform with the larger screen?

2. puke macrumors regular

Seems like the new chip they created will help the graphics card?

3. chukronos macrumors 6502

I am going to guess the graphics will drive the display about as fast as the current iMac. Just a guess, though. My reasoning is that the GPU is 45% faster but the display has roughly 400% more pixels.

4. Huddy macrumors member

I'd say for desktop use the AMD card will be fine. For gaming you'll be stuck at 1080p with a majority of modern games if you want the bells and whistles, and like the exisitng line not being native res will impact image sharpness. I can understand they needed to keep the costs down, but that display needs a Nvidia 970/80m.

I'd also be concerned how that new display chip effects the response time of the display for gaming.

I'm sitting this one out and will look to see what the refresh looks like in 2015.